Talk

Advanced search

what can a vet do for a sore on my cat tail?

(9 Posts)
Crystaltipsandalaistar Sat 06-Sep-08 21:28:25

Neber had to take her to the vet before......

Noticed her licking today, and she has a sore on the side of her tail, there is no fur on it.

She hasn't been excessively licking it but i phoned vet and they said take her in on MOnday.

But she hyperventilates when I put her in cat box, so if I can avoid taking her i will.

Just wondered what vet will do, and will it cost much! Thanks

She has a puffed up swollen tail a few weeks ago, it felt nobbly, but I thought it had got better. Again i didn't take her because I think she maight be more likely to die in the car!

thanks.....

whomovedmychocolate Sat 06-Sep-08 22:01:26

Vet will check out and clean the wound, and give antibiotics. Unless it's a fracture in which case surgery is considered.

It's more likely she has an infection than anything else - in cats, it can be fatal if not treated because their kidneys fail when they get bad infections. It's clearly not going on it's own, so you do need to take her.

One of my cats has to ride on the parcel shelf because we can't get her in the bloody box without a fight hmm

Crystaltipsandalaistar Sat 06-Sep-08 22:06:48

i can get her in, but she cries all the way, and then half way there she will go all floppy , her tongue hangs out and she starts panting and breathing heavily.
It's a nightmare when she's due an injection!
How much will the vet charge to see them and meds?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 06-Sep-08 22:11:28

Up to about £50 - depends on the vet. Mine is fairly cheap - about £25 for a visit and drugs but my old vet was double that - you can call and ask them in advance. Pills are cheaper than shots but you then have to give the cat the pill.

Your cat's reaction sounds normal for stress in cats. Having a blanket over the box sometimes helps as there is less stimulation so less to panic over.

Honestly though they get over this quickly and however scared they are short term, it's better than being dead.

tigi Sat 06-Sep-08 22:18:07

thanks! I just worry she is having a heart attack! I think I might go out and buy her a larger box, might help. Thats more expense though! Just won't mention to hubby, or else I'll be ecconomical with truth! (sorry just realised my name is showing as diff - i changed it ages ago, can't rememeber why- maybe i fancied a change!)

tigi Mon 08-Sep-08 21:03:17

took her to the vets today. the vet thinks it might be an abcess. Got to kep her in and stop her licking it for a week. Got aniti biotics too- like boulders!

she said 'hide them in some tuna' - that didn't work, so plan B will involve ds manhandling them down her throat - but they are huge!

Lovesdogsandcats Tue 09-Sep-08 16:32:38

How is she now?

tigi Wed 10-Sep-08 09:48:46

well she projectile vomited the first out! Second one I was confident had gone down - until I found it under settee last night! DH gave her one, then - ok. and then she just had one now off me - pushed down throat and massaged jobby! Not a happy puss! it still looks red and sore, so no different yet really - Thanks for asking xx

Lovesdogsandcats Wed 10-Sep-08 13:55:00

ooooh the little sod, spitting it out lol.
Should soon begin to work, couple of days and you should see a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now