Talk

Advanced search

Should we get this new puppy, any advice?

(9 Posts)
wigparty Thu 04-Sep-08 15:56:03

I desperately need some advice!

Have just been called by a friend to say that her neighbour wants to rehome her 2 month old puppy (boy) for various reasons (she has 6 children and another on the way!).

We already have a 9 year old dog and he's very much king of this castle. I know he'd be good as gold with the puppy, but I'm worried we'll be unfair to bring a new puppy in at this time in our dog's life. Would it all be too frantic for him when all he'll be wanting is a semi-quiet life?

I've tentatively said we could take the puppy for a 2 week trial to see how things go. Trouble is, if it doesn't work, it's going to be heart breaking to send him back again.

We're in a total predicament about what to do.

Unless we do this trial though, we don't know how it will work.

forevercleaning Thu 04-Sep-08 15:57:02

what breed is yours and also the pup?

wigparty Thu 04-Sep-08 16:06:11

ours is a staffie cross, very friendly, and puppy is a staffie.

My thoughts are they won't have a problem together as our dog will definitely be top dog from day 1. My worry is that the pup will be too boisterous for him in his middle old age!

wigparty Thu 04-Sep-08 16:06:13

My thoughts are they won't have a problem together as our dog will definitely be top dog from day 1. My worry is that the pup will be too boisterous for him in his middle old age!

wigparty Thu 04-Sep-08 16:06:22

bella29 Thu 04-Sep-08 16:13:41

I have recently got a puppy (lab) who has brought my 10 year old Heinz 57 varieties completely back to life. Like you, I worried it would be too much for the older dog but it has really rejuvenated her. The pup is now 4 months old and they spend hours playing with each other. I do split them up at night, though, so my older dog can get some peace wink

How does your dog react to other dogs? That's what swung it for me, was noticing how much more lively she was around other dogs.

wigparty Thu 04-Sep-08 16:45:16

On the whole he's great with other dogs, except if they're particularly big, then he's defensive.

I think the trial will be good as we'll be able to see how they get on together.

I would just hate for all the upheaval not to work out, but I guess we can't know unless we try?

CountryGirl2007 Fri 05-Sep-08 01:50:27

I think you should go for it. As long as your dog can be trusted with the puppy then they should get on, usually it can put a bit of life back into an older dog if they have a playmate, also, dogs are pack animals anyway so having a companion of their own kind is only natural.

Good Luck!

wigparty Fri 05-Sep-08 10:53:21

Thanks Countrygirl smile
DP and I have changed our minds about fifty times in 12 hours. I'm not sure if current owners are 100% happy about the trial so I'll have to wait and see.

It would break my heart if he went into a dog's home after all this, particularly given the number of staffies currently needing to be rehomed in London sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now