Talk

Advanced search

How FGS do I get the dog to do it's business when it out on walks?

(9 Posts)
saltire Wed 03-Sep-08 17:18:13

and not in the garden. We can go long hour walks, he comes home and whine to get in the garden where he poos,a dn for a small puppy there is a hell of a lot of it. I know I jsut stood in some, becasue DH didn't cut the grass,a nd now its long and i can't see it. I am sick of picking it up from the garden and the bin is stinking.

moosemama Wed 03-Sep-08 18:31:20

You need to put the behaviour on cue.

1. What you do is reward him whenever/wherever he does it at first, but super jackpot reward if he does it while out on a walk.

2. When you have done quite a few rewards after he's 'gone' you start to say a word which you can pair with the action. (It is important to say the word actually as he is 'performing the action' so to speak.) Then reward immediately.

3. Next step would be to take him to the place you would like him to go (probably near to a dog waste bin on your walk) say the word and reward him big time if he does it. If he doesn't just ignore, carry on your walk as usual and make sure he has had a few more rewards under his belt before trying again.

Its like any other dog behaviour, they just need to understand what you are asking of them and to do that you have to pair the action with the command and reward them for carrying it out.

Popular words to use include 'busy' or 'business', but the word is not important, just choose something you won't be embarrassed saying in a public place.

(One important thing, never scold him for going in the wrong place, especially once you have starting the process of getting the action on cue.)

The length of time it will take to train will depend on the dog, some pick it up straight away others may take a couple of weeks.

If you have any experience of clicker training, this would really speed up the process.

Its a great thing to teach your dog and so useful if you are travelling as you can stop and get him to 'go' without having to go for a long walk.

If he is still just a pup, it is quite normal for pups to refuse to go anywhere but on their own territory (all those other big dog smells in the park can be a bit overwhelming) - my old boxer x gsd went 4 days refusing to go when we were on holiday when he was a pup! There's no reason not to get started with the training though.

saltire Wed 03-Sep-08 19:35:52

He's a 7 month old pup, but the problem is that he broke his paw when he was about 4 1/2 months old, and he had pins and metal frame so was confined to the garden for the best part of 2 months, then only very short 10 minute wlaks for a couple of weeks, so I guess it is habit, but there is some good advice there that I shall try

forevercleaning Wed 03-Sep-08 19:38:17

have one yourself and show him about scuffing your feet as you walk away

saltire Wed 03-Sep-08 19:38:55

grin

IAteDavinaForDinner Wed 03-Sep-08 19:39:37

moosemama is bang on with her advice

forevercleaning Wed 03-Sep-08 20:02:07

iatedavina - I thought my advice was bang on too.

It is always best to lead by example grin

tink123 Thu 04-Sep-08 16:54:52

I must admit, i prefer my pup to do his business in our garden or yard. Much easier to clean up and does not get in other ppl's way.

Piglet111 Sat 06-Sep-08 15:37:19

We tried training our dog to go in the garden before a walk as it's easier to clean up especially if it's a bit sloppy and doesn't fully come up then we can sort it our without annoying anyone. I then made the mistake of going for a walk with my sister and her dog and once her dog pooed on the walk our dog copied and she now poos on every walk. It's a pain as there's not many doggy bins around here so we can be walking with the doggy bag for a good 40 minutes before coming across one.

I get so annoyed with people that don't bother to pick up after their dog, if you're not going to clean up after them you shouldn't own one in my opinion angry Not saying you wouldn't but just wanted to get some anger out there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now