Talk

Advanced search

does any one have a cat AND fish/aquarium?

(10 Posts)
nailpolish Wed 03-Sep-08 09:58:12

we have a cat

dd1 wants goldfish for her birthday

is this madness?

BexieID Wed 03-Sep-08 10:00:59

SIL has 2 cats and fish. All they do is drink water out of the tank (and loo), after I asked her if she had a bowl of water for them.

nailpolish Wed 03-Sep-08 10:03:38

doesnt her tank have a lid?

believeintheboogie Wed 03-Sep-08 10:04:34

we have 2 cats and goldfish, just ensure you have a proper lid and it will be fine,

when we had a tank without a lid our kitten ate a goldfish blush

nailpolish Wed 03-Sep-08 10:05:31

omg!

yes i will have to check lid security when i buy tank.

thanks

BexieID Wed 03-Sep-08 10:06:36

I'm pretty sure it has a lid on it. I've not got over the opened tins of canned fish smell when I opened her fridge, lol.

overthemill Wed 03-Sep-08 10:07:29

yes my friend does and we used to. we had one with a lid but my mate just puts on a plate over the bowl!

FabioFlangeCat Wed 03-Sep-08 10:08:13

cod has me

I would love a tank of delicious pick 'n mix pretty fishies.

GroovyRach Wed 03-Sep-08 23:05:58

ive got 2 cats and got a tank of fish a few months ago. at first cats seemed pretty interested and would sit infront of tank, but novelty of it was gone after a few days. although they do like to roll infront of tank sometimes. rather odd to me!!!

PinkTulips Fri 05-Sep-08 16:15:50

i've had 10 cats during the life of my goldfish (the fucker is immortal or something) and they've all had very differant reactions

my parents cats were so determined to eat him he had to live in the garage and one cat in paticular was so obsessed with getting at him he'd lurk by the garge door and streak in whenever someone opened it to try and push the fish tank off the counter.

my first cat spent hours every day tapping at the tank and did occasionally try and shove the tank off the mantelpice but never succeeded

the next cat never showed tha faintest interest although ironically he was the only one to succeed in knocking the tank down and almost murdered the fish, he jumped on it one day and slipped and dragged the tank down with him from its windowsill. fish had to live in a jug for 2 days til we could get a new tank.

that cats mother lived with us for a while but only ever looked up at fish from floor, showed no interest in chasing.

current cat has been sitting right next to the tank and not noticed fish and her kittens are 2 small to jump on the counter but i'd imagine they'll be interested judging by the fact that they chase everything else that moves!

when i was a kid my dad used have a huge aquarium and we'd put a chair in front of it for the cats to sit on while fishing. they'd be so busy frantically jumping up at the glass at the fish they're invariably fall off the chair and look very embaressed grin

just make sure the tank has a lid and is located somewhere they can't get behind it to push it (cats asre cunning enough to think of shoving it over a ledge) and fish will be fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now