Advanced search

I think we've been daft in getting two guinea's, one of each.

(14 Posts)
scanner Mon 01-Sep-08 20:24:50

They were 8 weeks old when we got them a couple of weeks ago and I stupidly didn't realise that they can breed from such a young age. So, now I'm wondering what I should do. They get on really well and snuggle up/play together and I know you're not supposed to keep them one their own.

Do I buy two more and of course another hutch and have two hutches each with two guinea's? would they get along?

Can you have guinea's neutered?

She could already be pregnant....

nickytwotimes Mon 01-Sep-08 20:26:42

She could already be pregnant....
You can get them neutered - it's easier for the male to get the knife.
Hpe she is not pregnent. If so, enjoy your 'grandkids', lol!

Onlyaphase Mon 01-Sep-08 20:27:12

Where did you get them from? Could you take them back and swap one of them for another of the same sex? Or give one away and buy another one of the same sex to keep the remaining one company?

My DH had the same problem as a child, and ended up with 37 guinea pigs within the year. You really need to get this sorted asap!

nickytwotimes Mon 01-Sep-08 20:27:20

Excuse the spelling.
I am using the laptop and the keys feel weird.

harpomarx Mon 01-Sep-08 20:29:22

whatever you're going to do, I would do it quick...

harpomarx Mon 01-Sep-08 20:30:00

lol at onlyaphase's dh - sounds very familiar.

we ran out of names for ours grin

scanner Mon 01-Sep-08 20:30:28

We could cope with one litter, but I've read today that they can have as many as five litters in a year!!! poor things.

I couldn't take one back, I dd would be distraught, they are part of the family already.

scanner Mon 01-Sep-08 20:32:24

I know it's a daft question, but how would I tell if she was pregnant. They are very fluffy, so it's hard to know what's fluff and whats guinea.

Hassled Mon 01-Sep-08 20:35:43

Act NOW!!! We did this and it ended very very badly. There is a tiny window of opportunity (lasting about one second) between the babies being too young to remove from their mothers and being old enough to impregnate their mothers (or sisters - they're not fussy).

See if you can swap one with someone else, or a pet shop.

FurryFox Mon 01-Sep-08 20:40:50

We did exactly the same thing but with rabbits last year. Got them at 8 weeks early November and by the end of December we had 3 babies.

We were worried she may get pregnant but vet said they couldn't be neutered till 5 months, or something like that. Not sure if it's correct.

About 3 weeks before she had them we thought she might be because was showing some signs, shredding fur etc so got another cage and seperated them, then she had them and all was fine.

Once the babies had been rEhomed we had both the female and male rabbits 'done' and then a few weeks later put them back together. A couple of minor scraps in the first hour or so but now best of friends and seem to adore each other.

Not sure if this helps, hope it sort of does smile

scanner Mon 01-Sep-08 20:42:23

Oh God, I'm really worried now.

DD would be very very very upset to swap one and she's away until Wednesday so I can't talk to her about until then.

If I get another hutch and separate them, but get them each a friend (at vast expense) are they likely to get on with a new friend?

I was very stupid wasn't I.

scanner Mon 01-Sep-08 20:43:24

Furry - crossed posts, but actually yes your post has helped.

FurryFox Mon 01-Sep-08 20:48:34

Perhaps you could get another cage and seperate them until you know if she is/isn't pregnant then once she's had them or not as the case may be, get them both nutered and try and re-introduce them. As I said, our rabbits were fine going back together.

While they were apart we made sure that most of the time they could see each other as recommended by lot's of rabbit websites. Obviously you haven't got rabbits but I think they're pretty similar.

northernrefugee39 Tue 02-Sep-08 18:15:21

Oh crikey- this happened to us- ( we have 9 guineas- two males in a separate run).
A VERY young male impregnated his sister.

Get him done- it costs about £30 and is a comparitively simple operation,then the male can live with as many females as you like.

But- baby guineapigs are the most adorable young ever- they are furry, and active almost immediately. The litters can be anything from one or two to about 5 I think.We have had a couple which didn't make it.

Hope it turns out alright.

Not sure if you can introduce a male to someone he doesn't know- but a female is fine with new girls always.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now