Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have a similar situation with a cat missing its friend?

(10 Posts)
whispywhisp Tue 26-Aug-08 17:16:48

I lost my lovely old 14yr old female cat at the weekend. She collapsed and had to be PTS. This leaves me with a very miserable 4yr old cat. She refuses to go out - she'll nip out for a wee and runs back indoors. She has always been an outdoor cat so its really unusual to have her in during the day although she always comes in at night. She's eating ok but just wants to be near me. Every time I go in the kitchen, where her bed is, she comes up to me and won't leave my side.

I've lost cats before now but I've never known another cat react like this. It's as if she's grieving in a cattie sort of way!

Is it normal? Especially when the 4yr old was never really bothered with the older one and if anything they squabbled and argued over everything!

Milliways Tue 26-Aug-08 17:23:13

We had a brother & sister from a few weeks old, then the girl got run over when they were about 4. The brother pined for weeks. He used to go looking for her, it was so sad.

Lots of cuddles & affection and they get over it eventually.

Sorry about your cat

bella29 Tue 26-Aug-08 17:28:12

So sorry to hear about your cat sad

I have had cats mourn their friends before- looking for them around the house and watching for them coming back in, but not as much as your cat seems to be missing her friend. I have also noticed that, if one dies, the remaining cat will quickly make new friendships with other cats in the house (I have 4) - perhaps you should get her a new friend if you're up to it?

whispywhisp Tue 26-Aug-08 17:39:35

Thanks for your replies. She's not exactly looking around for our other cat. She just wants to hang around me all the time, which is so unlike her, cos she'd usually just eat her food and disappear! She's being very affectionate, rubbing herself up against our legs - even DH's and she's normally quite snobby with him! It's a side to the cat which I've never had before and its actually very nice just worrying!

As much as I would love another cat (I used to have 3) I also have a Jack Russell who isn't keen on cats and whilst my remaining cat sticks up for herself and the dog backs off I wouldn't want to bring a new cat into the home and it be bullied by the dog!

catinthehat Tue 26-Aug-08 17:51:39

cat may well be looking out for you - may have decide that you have lost your friend and need looking after.

oops Thu 28-Aug-08 01:15:45

Message withdrawn

whispywhisp Thu 28-Aug-08 09:10:10

She went out yesterday but was only out for about a couple of hours. She'd normally be out all day until the evening. She slept most of the day only getting up and curling herself around my legs when I called her. She ate quite well although she's having to get used to eating normal food again having only eaten senior food for the last couple of years because we had to feed our other cat senior food because normal went straight thru her. I threw a grape on the floor and she chased that around the kitchen, stalking it - it was quite nice to see her behave like a kitten again. I guess she's ok but I didn't realise how losing her friend would affect her. She's gone out again this morning - not seen her yet so I'm hoping she'll spend a bit more time out today although I think with the rain she'll be in again soon.

Minniethemoocher Thu 28-Aug-08 09:21:57

Sorry that you had to have your cat PTS.

We had two cats, brother and sister, and when the sister died her brother did grieve for her. He kept searching the house, all the cupboards, behind the furniture, very sad to watch.

The suggestion of the Feliway spray may help, I think that they sell it as a plug in now as well as a spray.

I am sure that you cat's grief will pass.

whispywhisp Thu 28-Aug-08 09:31:55

Yea but the odd part of it was they weren't particularly close. They'd sometimes share the same bed but more often than not they would ignore each other. I've had cats before that have been really close and when one of them has gone the others haven't been bothered. This particular cat's behaviour is really odd - I'm not complaining cos its nice to have her around more and being close by but its just odd!

Lovesdogsandcats Sun 31-Aug-08 00:07:10

aw sorry to hear about your cat sad

She may not be missing the other cat as such, just feeling the status quo has been dislodged, and picking up the sadness vibes from you as well...cats are intuitive.
Or, she may be missing her, only she will know this.

my solution would be to get a new cat, not to replace the one you lost, but I always think pets should be in pairs, my 12 year old cat has a new lease of life with the introduction of our new young cat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now