Talk

Advanced search

Horses: Where is all the grass?

(9 Posts)
TheDuchessOfNorksBride Mon 25-Aug-08 10:47:26

It's rained a lot. And it's been quite warm. So why am I even contemplating feeding hay in AUGUST?? Arrrgh. Perhaps we'll get a decent Autumn growth [hopeful emoticon]

We're in Sussex - is it just us?! How's everyone else faring?

lilymolly Mon 25-Aug-08 20:12:06

Gosh mine are still on starvation paddocks shock
You must have a skinny throughbred eh? wink

Think the grass will come through in september- IIRC that is another risky stage for laminitis

Not had much sun, but we are up north in Durham, our grass went to seed about july, but we had no stock on it.

Pixel Mon 25-Aug-08 22:30:32

We are in sussex too and are feeding hay. We have grass (just had to have paddocks topped) but all around us are horses with laminitis so we are playing it safe atm and using electric fence to strip-graze.

LittlePushka Mon 25-Aug-08 22:42:39

Shall I topmy fields again and send you poor gals the cuttings? It is up to my old ponys knees here in N. Yorks. That said we have had rain for three weeks, so perhaps he is just siking in a bog!

MarmadukeScarlet Mon 25-Aug-08 22:54:43

Yep, on strip/starvation for my fatties in Kent.

My gelding is looking a little ginger on his hoofs today as he got his muzzle off a few days ago and has broken it.

TheDuchessOfSmokedNotJellied Mon 25-Aug-08 23:48:46

envy at all your grass. My two have the full run of 5 acres and, apart from the weedy/brambly bits, it's practically bald. Usually it's strip-fenced through the summer.

<looks suspiciously at the fat cows in neighbouring field and considers whether they've been pilfering>

Meanwhile, littlepushka, yes please send grass cuttings. <eagerly awaits postman>

LittlePushka Mon 25-Aug-08 23:57:42

Ok Duchess, sharpening me machete as we speak!grin

rubyloopy Tue 02-Sep-08 09:38:26

Message withdrawn

GrabShellDude Tue 02-Sep-08 09:42:29

Duchess - Warwickshire here and I've been feeding hay for a few weeks now! Three horses and bare fields. Weird given the weather we've been having.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now