Talk

Advanced search

How long is it before a puppy sleeps through the night, please?

(11 Posts)
Fauve Sat 23-Aug-08 21:06:47

We are a bit desperate here - taking it in turns to sleep downstairs so we can let him out to pee. He is nine weeks old, and we have had him here a week. He is in a crate, but whines when he wakes up, and we go into the garden with him. How much longer will we have to do this, please?

hercules1 Sat 23-Aug-08 21:14:04

We never did this. We left ours as puppies on their own from day one. LEft them at 10.30 up at 6.30.

hercules1 Sat 23-Aug-08 21:14:22

They cried the first couple of nights but never since.

MotherElk Sat 23-Aug-08 21:15:57

I think you need to cope with a bit of mess and put him back in the crate - puppies are almost worse than babies at working out what makes you move fastest?!!!
He WILL Whine. He will. And at one point he'll probably cry all night - that is what they do.... He misses his mum and his other litter mates and he doesn't understand why he's in this strange place.
However if you keep getting up to answer his whines he will continue to make noise to get your attention.
My only advice and I'm sorry to sound a bit harsh is:
Try only letting him out once in the night - until he's a bit older, say 12 weeks. Then leave him all night. You'll have some mess but he'll learn to stop messing and will cross his legs.
Ignore the crying - he will stop and I know it's awful but it does stop.

We have a collie and she did quite a bit of crying at first but she's now a happy, healthy girl with a very strong bladder and is just pleased to see us in the morning - not so desperate to visit the garden!

Good luck and sorry if I sound a bit harsh
x

Mutt Sat 23-Aug-08 21:17:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fauve Sat 23-Aug-08 22:51:38

Oh thanks [clueless emoticon]. I wonder if we should not let him have water at night in the crate? He seems to pee a hell of a lot.

Fauve Sat 23-Aug-08 23:13:15

Also, do you think he will eventually get into a pattern of, say, pooing at 11pm just as we go to bed, then that will be his poo for the night? Do they become 'regular' and predictable - an after lunch poo, etc?

Mutt Sat 23-Aug-08 23:24:03

Fauve Sat 23-Aug-08 23:30:45

Thanks, Mutt. We are trying to do some of that, but obviously controlled crying is the missing link. I am finding the broken nights v difficult as I have other fish to fry.

Mutt Sat 23-Aug-08 23:34:41

Nat1H Sat 23-Aug-08 23:35:46

Give him an old jumper of yours or something with your scent on. He will snuggle up to it and still be able to smell you. It may help to settle him a little.
Just leave him - don't even go down once!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now