Talk

Advanced search

urgent cat question (warning not nice if you are easily upset)

(21 Posts)
SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 21-Aug-08 21:57:35

my mums cat went missing on tuesday night, now normally id advise that cats wander and she would be back, but we have had this act 11 years and she never leaves the back yard. she goes outside to sit on the wall and then comes inside.

we have rang all local vets and the council no cats alive or dead have been handed in.

next door have what mum thinks is a staffie. my dads original thoughts were that the dog has either gotten hold of the cat sad or scared her away. anyway when he put the bins out there was what sounds to me like a kennel mat "covered in blood" on top of thier bin but no sign of the cat. my dad has had a look in their bin <covert operation next door are a bit dodgy> and couldnt feel anything that might be the cat but obviuosly cannot go ripping open all their bins as they could be innocent.

my question is if my mum rang the police tonight with her concerns would they come and look in the bins? she is really upset and just wants to know what has happened to her cat even if it is the worst sad sad

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 21-Aug-08 22:04:04

anyone?

kormachameleon Thu 21-Aug-08 22:07:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

3Ddonut Thu 21-Aug-08 22:07:53

Sorry, don't want to leave your thread unanswered.

Iunderstand your mum's upset but I don't think the police will have anything to do with it. maybe, just in passing she could say to the neighbours 'I just wish I knew what had happened one way or the other' sorry, it's a horrible thing, perhaps if cat doesn't return in the next few days they should assume the worst sad

penona Thu 21-Aug-08 22:10:43

Poor your mum. That is horrid. I think trying to ask the neighbours might work, or maybe ask the RSPCA/Cats Protection if they could rummage through bins for you? RSPCA do have powers to do things, although I don't know if this would be appropriate.

Good luck, hope you get some answers.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 21-Aug-08 22:12:12

yes thats what i thought. i know the blood could be a number of things and have said that to my mum i.e. the dog got hold of a pigeon/baby seagull/rat

it just seems strange as the cat never leaves the house and then this cushion.

i have said to ask them but she doesnt think they will admit anything, they are only young and not v friendly with the other people in the street. she also said you wouldt be able to guage anything from their reaction as the guy never looks at your face he stares at the floor.

izzysauntyclaire Thu 21-Aug-08 22:27:14

I would be inclined to ring the RSPCA. obviously you cant accuse them next door but i hate to tell you sounds dodgy to me. If the dog had got summat like a pigeon, I'm sure that would have been in the bin when your dad had a rummage. you might get a better look in the daylight tomorrow. Cats are creatures of habit though (I've got a cattery) and chances are, if your Mams cat hasn't come back when she usually does, it's because she can't. Sorry love and fingers crossed for you!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 21-Aug-08 22:30:46

ive text her and told her to ring rspca my dad is not scared of next door and not the kind to be bothered about going through peoples bins so i think he will have a better look when he sees how upset my mum is.

all there stuff was in carrier bags so he couldnt get a proper look just a feel but said nothing felt like a cat or any other dead animal.

there was a lot of thunder the night she went missing and she is a v nervous so we are hoping that she is hiding somewhere but general thought is that she would have come back last night when it was all quiet and dark.

bethoo Thu 21-Aug-08 22:33:22

sadly by law nothing can be done if a dog kills a cat that is in its garden as it is a territory thing. i would go to the house and politly ask if they have seen the cat and you re aware that if something has happened you just want to know so that you can grieve and put an end to the not knowing.

cadelaide Thu 21-Aug-08 22:38:05

I think if they've been keeping it quiet they probably won't suddenly admit to it now.

A good rummage in the bins is the only answer. Also can you see all of their garden? Might they have buried it?

It's quite possible the dog has had the cat, my sister's staffie killed my parents' beloved elderly cat. Awful business

cadelaide Thu 21-Aug-08 22:39:40

...thinking about it though, sis's dog always chased that cat.

Has next-door's dog shown interest in the cat before? If not, maybe you're not on the right track.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 21-Aug-08 22:43:21

its a yard so there would be no where to bury it all concrete. they have just moved in a few months ago so long before i left home but my mum had never mentioned the dog barking at the cat and they have two dogs of their own one v protective over the cat so am sure they would have noticed if next doors was barking at the cat as our dog would have barked back.

our dogs are locked inside on a night though and the window is left open for the cat to get in and out. tbh i think she always sat on the wall adjoining the other yard

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 21-Aug-08 22:52:46

just had a call my dad stole thier bin and emptied it our yard. there is no cat in there and i cant see what else they would have done with her. they had a good luck at the cushion and its not loads of blood but a lot iyswim? too much to be a dog on heat but as i said to my mum if it was the cats surely it would be a pool of blood rather spotting as she described?

hopefully she is just hiding somewhere and will be back in the kitchen waiting to be fed in the morning. my mum sounded more reassured anyway.

penona Thu 21-Aug-08 22:58:23

Fingers crossed for you. Have just been chasing a fox out of our garden who was scaring our two and I was thinking about this post.
Glad nothing in the bins. No idea what dog on heat looks like, could you keep the cushion thing and get someone more expert to check it out?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 21-Aug-08 23:01:51

its a dogs period so spotting of blood but only lightly. i suppose they could keep it but i have no idea who they would show it to?

she is going to put a missing ad in our paper tommorrow. hopefully she is hiding in some ones shed after the thunder.

tbh i think it sounds like the dog has injured itself. i have told her she should get my to ask if the dog is okay as he noticed its kennel mat when he was putting his bin out and see what they say.

Piglet111 Fri 22-Aug-08 11:36:42

Any news?

It could still be the dog on heat, my brother's irish staff has a lot of blood when she's on heat, I have adviced best to get her spayed but he won't listen.

I suppose with dogs it could be like people where some women have heavy bleeds and some light. I hope so.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 22-Aug-08 17:22:21

no we have been out looking for her today and still cannot find her. my mum has asked the mad cat lady up the road <actually she is quite lovely> who has said the cat does leave our yard she goes there to be fed tuna but she hasnt seen her since last week. she is going to ask all her mad cat lady friends to keep an eye for her.

they asked next door if they had seen the cat they said they didnt even know we had a cat like that they only ever see the other one.

we are looking again for her tonight i think with the dog who is missing her and pining. hopefully if he smells her he will let us know in some way.

cadelaide Sat 23-Aug-08 10:08:19

Any luck SheSells?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 26-Aug-08 22:20:55

ah panic over she has returned she looks scared and nervous but otherwise fine. my mum is so happy she sounded like she had been crying when she called me! bless!

at least next door have been let off the hook! my dad was still adamant that they had had something to do with it!

bella29 Wed 27-Aug-08 08:52:11

Whew! That's fantastic news grin

penona Fri 29-Aug-08 10:50:11

Have just found this and wanted to say hooray for your mum. Have been away a few days and for some reason this thread was really bothering me. Am pleased all turned out well in the end smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now