Talk

Advanced search

Ok puppy people, ours is driving me to F****** distraction with his barking

(9 Posts)
saltire Thu 21-Aug-08 13:14:59

If he's not chewing everything, he's barking.
He is good at sit, stay, bed, out etc. he lies down at night int eh living room with us. BUT

during the day, if Is it down, he barks until i get up, if I'm eating, or he hears me int eh kitchen prearing food for the Dses he barks. if I sit down to eat he barks. I have tried all teh different things such as water, fresh air spray, rattling keys, he thinks its all a game. When he barks, if I make to grab him, he runs off, and does that thing where the front paws go down as if to play he still can't get long walks becasue of his paw, so i know he has lots of energy. Today I played with him - throwing his toy round the garden - for 30 minutes, then he went on a 10 minute walk. he is currently inh is bed, and has been barking for 20 minutes.
I am trying to eat my lunch, if I let him out, he wil sit beside and bark until i get up.
He barks at noises on teh tv, at other dogs outside, if someone comes to teh door, if people are eating or in the kitchne or sitting down, etc.

bethoo Thu 21-Aug-08 13:16:58

what breed is he? is he a terrier?

bella29 Thu 21-Aug-08 13:18:13

Must be quick - off to the vets (as usual!!!)

Some breeds are naturally quite yappy, but all dogs will quickly realise it's a fantastic way to get your attention, so ignore and then reward when quiet.

Collies are too darn smart!

Oh, and ask hatwoman, cos she's a guru grin

bethoo Thu 21-Aug-08 13:18:51

when he barks turn away from him if possible so your back is to him. when he stops barking praise him. he should learn that continuous barking is negative and will only recieve positive comebacks when he is quiet. also can you teach him the down position? if he is lying on his back he may find it difficult to bark!

WorzselMummage Thu 21-Aug-08 13:20:12

give him a bollocking.

saltire Thu 21-Aug-08 13:20:54

He is a Border Collie.
I have tried turning round, he just follows me.
He can do down, but ignores everything when he is barking

bethoo Thu 21-Aug-08 13:21:30

bollocking him when he is naughty is negaitve attention and at least he is getitn attention so i would not advise. when they are dong something you would rather they did not the best thing is to ignore.

bethoo Thu 21-Aug-08 13:22:46

border collies are very intelligent dogs and require alot of stimulation both mentally and physically! it is a toughy especially as he cannot be walked for a long time due to his injury.
have you got a crate uyou could put him in for a time out?

Alambil Thu 21-Aug-08 22:56:14

get an empty washing up liquid bottle, rinse it out and fill with water

Aim jet between his eyes with a hefty "NO" when you want him to shut up

Do it HARD and fast - a jet, not a trickle... he'll soon get the message grin (and a little damp)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now