Talk

Advanced search

Very upset about pregnant stray I had been feeding.

(5 Posts)
3kids1cat Thu 21-Aug-08 09:49:18

Posted here quite a while back about a cat who had been sleeping in my shed. She was always hungry and I had been feeding her for about 5 weeks. I realised she was pregnant but had no idea how long she had to go.

I came back from holiday (my sister had been feeding her, and my own cat), she was very big. I then didn't see her for a couple of days. When she came back she was starving and came into the house to eat. Then she went upstairs and was looking around for somewhere quiet. She found a little spot and I was happy for her to stay there.

She was meowing a lot and I could see she was in pain, I sat with her. Then after a while she got up and went downstairs, she wanted to be let out and I didn't want to force her to stay so I let her.

She didn't come back that night, then yesterday she came back, but was no longer pregnant. She was hungry so I fed her, she sat on the patio for a while afterwards then she left. I tried to follow her but the alley at the back of the house is covered in brambles and I lost her.

I feel so guilty that I let her go off, and can't help thinking that she or the kittens may have suffered.

ghosty Thu 21-Aug-08 09:53:46

She's probably hidden them somewhere and jsut came back for a bit of food from you ... It is best you don't stop her from going to her kittens as she will be feeding them.

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Aug-08 09:55:05

oh I am sure she'll be fine. Cats do this all the time remember?
they like somewhere quiet to give birth and hide their kittens.
that's probably why she wanyted to be let out. she's had the kittens somewhere, and then she came back because she knew you had food

honestly, I am sure they're ok

3kids1cat Thu 21-Aug-08 10:07:22

Thanks, I didn't mean I tried to stop her going back yesterday, she doesn't even come inside most of the time, and comes and goes as she pleases.

I hope you're both right and the kittens are somewhere safe and are ok.

surprise Mon 25-Aug-08 15:23:55

We have a very similar situation here, except our stray hopped into a box in our shed and had her kittens there. We've put them in a box with a hole in it outside(so mum can get in and out) and have been feeding her, but other than that have left her too it, and they're all doing fine so far (2 weeks old). I'm sure your stray will be fine, as they know how to pick a safe place for their litters. If you carry on feeding her she may well bring her kittens to see you when they're bigger!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now