Talk

Advanced search

Neglecful horse owner - what would you do?

(11 Posts)
pamplemousse Wed 20-Aug-08 22:21:37

Hi
Hope you don't mind me asking your opinion on this...
Just been to visit an acquaintance - an old colleague of DP's - he has 2 shires, a cob and a shetland. All are completely obese, really horrible but the thing that upset me the most was the shetlands feet, they are so long and very obviously painful. I mentioned it and he said yes they grow so quickly this time of year blah blah. The trouble is this guy is simple, he's 40, lives with his mum and doesn't have a clue....
What shall I do? What would you do in my situation? I tried saying those feet need doing but he is so dim and vague he just agrees and starts chatting about how the horses like to chase the dog. The dog is an untrained (my pet hate!!) alsation circles and barks at the horses which chase it and try to trample it, he says they are playing I say one day that dog is going to have a ton of shire on it. Anyway I digress...
Any advice please...

choosyfloosy Wed 20-Aug-08 22:22:48

Ring the RSPCA.

catinthehat Wed 20-Aug-08 22:25:13

RSPCA

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 20-Aug-08 22:27:36

RSPCA here

It's cruel to let the situation continue, you know this.

Good luck

combustiblelemon Wed 20-Aug-08 22:28:41

Yup, RSPCA

GrimmaTheNome Wed 20-Aug-08 22:29:01

I think I'd try the RSPCA and see if they could offer him help and advice how to care for his animals properly. ie try to get something constructive done rather than punitive

Threadwworm Wed 20-Aug-08 22:29:45

As well as RSPCA you could consider ringing the UK welfare hotline of the World Horse Welfare society. And they are running a campaign on horse obesity at the moment

pamplemousse Wed 20-Aug-08 22:30:10

OK thanks for link BALD, I'll do it, won't he know it was me though? Are they sympathetic to simpletons and tell him to sort it etc?

pamplemousse Wed 20-Aug-08 22:32:57

x posted gtg - thats what i want really advice so he can see its cruel, i just don't think he sees it. Thanks threadworm will check that out.

pamplemousse Wed 20-Aug-08 22:34:34

Threadwworm - still getting used to the new name despite having a car sticker on my rear windscreen, had you said ILPH I would have known who you meant!!

SubRosa Thu 21-Aug-08 15:42:25

You could also try Redwings, they're based in Norwich, but have a few rescue centres around the country:

www.redwings.org.uk/welfare-contact.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now