Talk

Advanced search

At what age do pups stop chewing everything in sight?

(19 Posts)
saltire Mon 18-Aug-08 20:32:00

When pup ahd his sore paw and was wearing a buster collar most of the time he hardly (obviously) chewed anything. Since then though he has demolished a hairbrush wooden ahndle, a broom shank, endless bits of paper (which he swallows) and shoes, socks etc. We went through all this when he was very young and thought he'd almost grown out of it. We have tried pepper spray, other sprays fromt the pet shop, mustard, chilli etc - he just licks them off

bella29 Mon 18-Aug-08 22:24:26

Hello Saltire

As far as I know they can chew quite badly up to about a year old, although my 10 yr old dog will still have a go at occasional toys.

I've written a bit on the other thread (wees, poos, sleepless nights) about my toy rotation chart (go on, laugh!) but I do think it helps to have lots of different toys and bring them out at different times. That way there's always sometihng 'new' to chew, rather than your belongings. A firm no! and a vigilant eye to make sure non-toys are kept out of the pup's reach also helps, but even I've had a few chewing casualties!
HTH & feel free to join us on the other thread grin

hatwoman Mon 18-Aug-08 22:29:12

no answer to the q re when they'll stop - only advice is just to assume they will chew anything they can get their hands/paws on and therefore not to leave him with anything chewable. I also have to respond to bella - I hadn;t put together the fact that you have a toy rotation chart and that pup isn;t a pfp. you girt softie...grin

ahundredtimes Mon 18-Aug-08 22:31:46

Toy rotation chart. Wow. I'm impressed by people that do this for their children, let alone their puppies.

I think it slacks off a bit. Ours used to chew wires and things, very annoyingly, but now nearing 10 months, it's pretty much his things rather than random things. Cardboard, chew toys, sometimes a sock he finds. It's definitely lessened.

saltire Tue 19-Aug-08 10:59:11

Yes he has chewed through an electric socket once, we had sparks and burning and had to get an electrician to come out. he has demolished all his toys, currently he is chewing/playing with an old plastic cup. He will play around with it for so long then sit and chew it.
He has umpteen hoops, chewy bones,rings, kongs etc, all in bits.

blowsy Tue 19-Aug-08 11:03:10

I'm looking after my sister's 8 month old dog. He has chewed - a lot! He has totally mullered my Birkenstocks angry.

He was sick the other day and I noticed 2 bits of Playmobil in there! He even gets balls of hair out of the bathroom bin and chews them. Nice.

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 19-Aug-08 11:11:36

My pup who is 11 months old, stills chews but we have discovered the whole "toy rotation" and he has toys for the house and other toys for when we are out walking. He also has a box which is filled with boxes of different shapes and sizes, kitchen roll and general paper rubbish, when we go out we bury treats in the box and even inside the other boxes IYKWIM and leave him with that. Since we have done these things he doesn't really chew anything else(has never been a bad chewer, never touched any of furniture etc) although occassionally we will come home and find a pile of my bra's in the hall way, not damaged though. I suppose thats my own fault for leaving undie draw open!! grin

saltire Tue 19-Aug-08 11:12:51

Does he eat all the paper in the box? Our pup had an Andrex moment yesterday and ate the best part of a roll of loo paper

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 19-Aug-08 11:19:37

No he never eats it as such, but does shred it to an inch of it's life!! he has one spot in the hallway that he likes to store everything, so as soon a s you walk in the house you are greeted by a very proud looking puppy surronded by shredded paper! It can be a bit messy but its only paper and it is dry, not like he has chewed through £££ worth of furniture or made a wet mess.

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 19-Aug-08 11:20:45

Just out of interest what type is he and how much walking does he have every day? Does he go of lead?

saltire Tue 19-Aug-08 11:30:03

He's a Border Collie. He's now 6 1/2 months old. Unfortunately he broke his paw a few weeks ago, and although he has the metal pins out, we ahve been told to slowly increase his walks, and certainly no more than 20 minutes twice a day until next week, then slowly build up longer times. He is frustrated though poor thing

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 19-Aug-08 12:12:01

We had similar with our pup he broke his knee when he was 3.5 months old, he was on house arresst for 7 weeks, he was doing so well before that happened. He also had it pinned and wired, they are still in place.

If you are at home with him you could try placing an object under an upturned pot and putting it amongst 3-4 other and asking him to find it, that really tires out young ones, you could also take him out of a room and hide some of his favourite toys in that room then bring him back in after 5 mins and ask him to search for the items, also that would wear him out so only do it a couple of times a day. There are lots of other things you could do to stimulat but tire his brain, think mental activity rather than physical. Sorry if you already know this stuff, only offering advice!

saltire Tue 19-Aug-08 12:41:15

It's not just the chewing thats worrying me, its the also teh fact that he will swallow whatever he chews. For example he had a red rubber dog toy, its in bits, half of which came out the other end of his body<need a yuck>
About 10 mins ago I heard him being sick and it was full of wood chippings from the skirting board in his room, bits of cardboard, and huge big bits of filling from his bed. All chewed up and regurgitated(sp)

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 19-Aug-08 12:48:10

I have to admit that is strange, i have come accross dogs that swallow things by accident but never to the extremes that you are describing. What food does he have? It could be dietry related.

saltire Tue 19-Aug-08 14:54:16

He has puppy dried food, adn I often give him vegetables or apsta with it. I think part of it could be boredom, but he jsut can't get out far at the moment

bella29 Tue 19-Aug-08 15:59:55

I think you're right about the boredom, Saltire, and I also think morethan has a point with the mental stimulation, especially as border collies are so intelligent. Have you tried those toys you stuff treats in and they have to roll them around to get the treats out? The cardboard boxes sound good too.
You are right to worry about him eating things - my friend just lost a dog due to it swallowing something it shouldn't have & that's part of the reason I am so obsessive about what mine gets hold of. Does he have a crate for the times he can't be supervised? Could it be separation anxiety when he's left alone?

saltire Tue 19-Aug-08 17:28:38

Thing is he's not too bad when he is on his own. he has a cupboard, which is quite big, for sleeping in, we did ahve a crate for when he had his paw done and for being in teh car.
He only really eats the skirting board when he's in his wee roomhmm. Only she says!
It's when he's out the room and just supposed to lying down beside us that he chews, he has demolished his toys. he has had two of those kong things where you hide the toys, and 1 is in bits

bella29 Tue 19-Aug-08 18:15:48

Have you tried the extra strong nylabones for powerful chewers? They do bacon flavour ones and all sorts!

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 19-Aug-08 18:28:59

Daft question,, but does he know what you expect from him? He should grow out of it soon, you will probably notice a huge change once he can start walking properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now