Talk

Advanced search

anyone know where i can get a BEAGLE puppy from?

(16 Posts)
benbon Fri 15-Aug-08 19:10:25

hi im desperately after a lemon and white (white and tan) Beagle puppy we will be able to give him or her such a good home just no one seems to have any available at the moment.

please help

hollyandnoah Fri 15-Aug-08 19:26:40

hey!

Where are you about? You can find breeders in your area online usually..

Just checked your profile - southwick - okay i dunno where that is lol, google maps comes up with 7 in the UK.

www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.listadverts/86aa5dc1.html

pets.uk.freeads.net/dogs/beagle/

Ehm you could also try gumtree, not usually breeders on there, but someone might be trying to rehome one.

Also you could look in rescue centres like dogstrust, email the centres close to you.

here's a beagle rescue centre i think www.epupz.co.uk/rescuecentral/results.asp?area=all&breed=Beagle&Submit=Search+++&searchtype=1

LOL can you tell i'm bored tonight?

benbon Fri 15-Aug-08 20:11:33

thats brilliant thankyou we are in southwick in brighton down on the south coast. seems all the beagle puppies seem to be up north!!!
ive tried all the sale boards..

ThankCrunchyItsFriday Fri 15-Aug-08 20:13:02

Beagles'r'us.

Nbg Fri 15-Aug-08 20:15:33

We got our Beagle from a breeder in Lancaster, but thats a fair way from where you are.

She does have champion Beagles though.

Nbg Fri 15-Aug-08 20:16:37

Oh and I have to say this but have you read up on Beagles?

They require alot of work.

We found out the hard way.

benbon Fri 15-Aug-08 21:08:02

what was your experience with them nbg?

Nbg Sat 16-Aug-08 14:37:05

Do you really want me to tell you? grin

Well our Beagle is nearly 8. We got him when he was 5 months old.
We went through the destrcutive phase but I think even then, he took it to the next level.
I think we had to replace 3 carpets as he pulled them all up, he ate some really expensive boots of mine, one of dh's suits and endless toys. Just to compare, ILs have a dog the same age and he has soft toys from being a puppy that he has never ripped or destroyed, ours will rip them to shreads the seond he gets them.

He cannot be left out of his cage when we leave the house as he still destroys things. Having a cage up is a PITA.

Beagles are known for being wanderers. Ours has escaped quite a few times. A couple of times he's almost been run over because he just has no road sense at all (although does any dog?).
We have also since read/found out from other Beagle owners, that they like company and are alot better when with one of their own or another dog.
We got a Chihuahua over a year ago and all she does is bully him lol so if you were to consider 2 dogs, get them together, not later on iyswim.

Ours is also very anxious and some of his behaviour comes from that.
We've had a behaviourist out to him earlier this year and she said alot of it comes from him coming from a big family of beagles to just on his own and also the fact that they need to have a clear signal of who is in charge of their "pack" and apparently us as a family dont do that. Its a bit more complicated than that but that is the general gist of it.

But having said all that, he is very sweet and loving.
If I am ill, he will come and lay down with me. The dogs are not allowed upstairs in our house but if he knows me or dh are ill, he will come up and lay at the bottom of the bed.
He used to sit by me alot just after I had the children and when dd started to walk, he would follow her around, especially if someone new came into the house.
And he is very very patient with the children. They are absolutely rotten to him at times and he has never so much as growled at them. I trust him totally with the kids.

Sorry for waffling!

moshie Sat 16-Aug-08 14:48:43

If you contact the Kennel Club they will give you information on beagles and some numbers of breeders closest to you.

hughjarssss Sat 16-Aug-08 15:10:13

We have a Beagle who is 2 and I agree with everything NBG said.

We had to get a cage as she cannot be trusted, even when I go upstairs to put dd down for a nap she will grab one of dad's toys and destroy it!

We were warned not to let her off the lead as beagles are known for finding a scent and chasing it.
She has only run away once though, dp took for a walk to the park and she legged it home. Since having dd she has become very attached to me and dp says she gets all sulky when I go out. She is very sensitive.

She is obsessed with food, completely food oriented and is a complete scavenger. I swear she would just eat eat and eat until she was sick if we let her.

She is very very loving though, the most affectionate dog I have ever had. And
She is fab with dd (10 months) and they get on like a house on fire and she puts up with dd pulling her about!

I love her to bits but she is hard work

hughjarssss Sat 16-Aug-08 15:11:46

dd's toys not dad's obv. grin

deegward Sat 16-Aug-08 15:19:41

We had a beagle when I was growing up - Boris - he was the coolest dog out!!

They totally have minds of their own, if you throw a stick, ours looked at it and you as it to say, "well off you go, I'm a bit tired!"

He definately was part of our pack as a family, and when my brother left home, the first night at tea, he sat at my brother's place, as if to say "well one out,that means I move up"

He sat in the front of the car with me after I learned to drive, and would lean into the corners and his ears would flop over.

sad I really miss him, and although they are hard work, would have one tomorrow for my boys if dh wasn't allergic!

Sorry long post!

KnockOffNorbert Sat 16-Aug-08 15:29:37

Skipped from OP so sorry if it's been said - check out the kennel club website for registered bredders and it will give a list of ready or soon to be born puppies.

Nbg Sat 16-Aug-08 15:37:51

Yes I forgot the food bit Hughjarrssss (just got your name grin)

Ours will take food from the kids hands if he can and patrols the dinner table at any chance he gets.

He actually used to be a very fussy eater.
You could put a sausage infront of him and he would walk away.
Fat chance now!

l4ura21 Wed 24-Sep-08 22:57:52

hi there i have a beagle and he is the best friend ever and he is actually really good, he does tend to chew things but instead of telling him off i just take it off him and replace it with a chew stick or one of his toys.

They do keep you on your toes!!

If you do get one they tend to chew out of bordom but if you walk them enough that shoud solve that problem. I walk mine about 3 times a day for about 10 or 20 mins at a time.

Have a look on www.dogpages.co.uk and you select a breed and your area you live in.

supastar Thu 25-Sep-08 17:13:00

Try the beagle club:
Secretary:- Mr Deryck Player

email:- enquiries@thebeagleclub.org

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now