Talk

Advanced search

I have a kitten!!! More scared than when I brought DD home from hospital

(15 Posts)
Flamesparrow Fri 15-Aug-08 18:27:02

blush

Terrified I will damage it in some way.

I have joked about Flameboy hurting it, but in all honesty he is very sweet with her and is already getting the hang of "NO! Leave her alone!"

She is about 9 weeks old. I cried taking her away from her mum blush

She is litter trained (or she was at home). Going to phone and register with vet on Monday... how old does she need to be for jabs? What is the best worming stuff to buy? I have flea stuff (she is only just big enough to have it, hence not being done before coming).

Anything else I should know???

Oh, kitten food... is that the cat food version of follow on milk?

clayre Fri 15-Aug-08 18:31:52

awe, it'll wreck your house!!!

i think its 12 weeks for jabs, in my experience the flea and worming stuff works the best but i have a long haired flea bag, it is important that she has kitten food and not cat food

good luck!

clayre Fri 15-Aug-08 18:32:54

oops missed words out - the flea and worming stuff from the vet works the vet works the best.

Flamesparrow Fri 15-Aug-08 18:40:36

grin Flameboy wrecks my house anyway wink

So, what is the difference with the cat foods? <intrigued> (bar the price obv hmm)

Alambil Fri 15-Aug-08 18:58:17

not much, but if you go on Felix and Whiskas sites and register, you get money off vouchers! (and interesting info sent every few months about the growth of the cat)

Kitten food has more nutrients in so is better over cat food, but you can change about 9m old - I did to save money and she's not suffered

Get a scratch post!

Rhubarb Fri 15-Aug-08 18:59:36

Hmmm, this thread has made me think of curry! Yum!

flipflopper Fri 15-Aug-08 22:10:41

HI, I have just got a 7 week old kitten and went to the vet with her today as she had fleas and was not eating

So it turned out she was a he! The vet de-flead him, de wormed and gave us some liquid parafin as poor kitty is constipated! Its as bad as having a baby.

We are going back in 2 weeks for his first jabs so I guess yours is ready for his now if he is 9 weeks.

The vet recomended a good quality food such as hill's or james wellbeloved, so I spend a small fortune today!

notnowbernard Fri 15-Aug-08 22:14:57

I so know where you are coming from re being more scared with the kitten than the baby!

I had more anxiety about whether my kitten was eating enough than either of the dds - ludicrous!

NutterlyUts Fri 15-Aug-08 22:25:02

Cats do best on a constant supply of food. So its worth getting a tower thing (i will find a pic of what i mean)for a good quality biscuit food (I like james well-beloved, or royal canin.. Avoid the cheap foods (e.g go cat) and iams as what you save in feed costs, you pay for in vet bills..) then offering wet food sachets twice a day

Stronghold is a good flea/wormer, and ask your vet if you can start on either milbermax (a palatable wormer that kitty should eat in food) or the spot on droncit for worming to make life easier (not sure on age for droncit)

Please insure kitten asap especially if the kitten will be going outside, as it will be worth its weight in gold if anything happens. I'd also suggest microchipping the kitten so that if s/he did go walk about, you can be reunited. Try and keep him/her in until 6m when you can get him/her neutered (Some vets will do this at 5m, so ask ) to prevent unwanted pregnancy and other problems (also, neutered boys are far far far less likely to spray and wander and neutered girls tend to be much less skittish and better at snuggling in the family)

NutterlyUts Fri 15-Aug-08 22:25:48

the tower thing!

NutterlyUts Fri 15-Aug-08 22:34:09

free sample of james wellbeloved and I know vets have free minibags of royal canin (although its best not to chop and change food too much, and to do it slowly)

Evenstar Sat 16-Aug-08 12:12:54

My kitten was on the dried Hills Science Plan food for kittens on the vet's recommendation, but she said Royal Canin and James Wellbeloved were good dried foods as well. My latest kitten now aged 18 months was my first for years and I was very anxious too. Oh and be careful loading your washing machine/tumble drier in case of an addition to the load and keep toilet lids down until he is older, as their heads are heavy and if they fall in they can't get out.

Flamesparrow Sat 16-Aug-08 12:16:38

Ooh thank you! I'm putting pics on my profile now First night went well wink

NutterlyUts Sat 16-Aug-08 19:29:32

Oo a norty torty!! whats her name?

Flamesparrow Sun 17-Aug-08 12:43:17

She's called Willow DD is besotted with her - has spent the last hour pulling a piece of string grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now