Talk

Advanced search

i think dd's rabbit is about to die on me.

(38 Posts)
kerryk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:25:03

he was out his cage in the garden yesterday and seemed fine, he did not run about but sunbathed under some garden toys like he usually does. when i went to put him in his hutch last night he jumped out my arms but seemed fine so i put him away for the night.

this morning he has done nothing but lie in the same bit of his hutch, i opened the door to let him out and when i went back to check on him he was hanging out the door, i pushed his bum out for him but now he is lying on the slabs.

the few times he has went to move he looked lopsided.

he has also not eaten or drank a lot for a few days now.

we came back from holiday last week and he had been left with friends, is there any chance he could be sulking? or does it sound more serious. i have checked him over but cant see anything physically wrong with him. all his paws etc look fine.

he is not even a year old yet.

kerryk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:25:50

tw the reason i ask about the sulking is because he escaped earlier this year and after we got him back he seemed to be depressed for a few days. he just lazed around and did not do anything.

Mung Thu 14-Aug-08 14:27:32

I know nothing about rabbits, but I suppose he cant be feeling too well if he hasnt eaten.

I hope he perks up soon.

cornsilk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:27:59

You need to get him to a vet. Not eating and drinking is a very serious sign in rabbits.

kerryk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:29:03

any idea what could be wrong cornsilk?

Blu Thu 14-Aug-08 14:30:26

Our rabbits seem to go comatose if they don't like the weather. If it is damp and / or windy, they often lie on their bed for a whole day and don't appear to eat or drink a all.

I hope he perks up.....

Has he had injections fo Mixy and that flu thing

cornsilk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:33:11

No I'm not a rabbit expert or anything but have always been told by the vet that if he doesn't eat or drink to bring him in.Mind you what blu says makes sense, ours seems to be affected by the weather as well and can have quiet patches. I tried to persuade dh to take him to the vet one xmas eve 'cos he was so quiet - he didn't and he was fine the next day. Hope he is okay.

kerryk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:34:50

he had his mixy injec.

have just tried propping him up and he kind of flops over sad

i know now is not the best time to feel like this but i get really freaked out about things that are dead/close to it and i can feel myself starting to panic.

dh is away and its only myself and 2 young dd's here.

going to call the vet just now.

cornsilk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:35:14

Also they can pull muscles apparently. I got dh to take ours once (you can see I'm a bit hysterical) 'cos he was limping, but vet said he was fine and they can easily pull something, especially with chn around.

cornsilk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:35:54

Just read your last post hope everything is okay.

Bronze Thu 14-Aug-08 14:35:56

(De)Worm him?

Blu Thu 14-Aug-08 14:38:10

Cause of not eating can be teeth. Some rabbits can grow 'spurs' on their back teeth which is v uncofortable for them, or their front teeth can grow to long from not gnawing enough, and then they can't eat.

I took my comatose rabbits to the vet f teeth checks...and they were fine. So now I just leave them to i if no other signs of illness, and make sure that the vet checks their teeth and claws when I take them in for thier injections.

Blu Thu 14-Aug-08 14:39:33

Oh dear - flopping over doesn't sound good sad

FioFio Thu 14-Aug-08 14:40:39

Message withdrawn

kerryk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:42:55

i have tried feeding him and holding water to his mouth but he just pulls away.

think i might bring him in doors and see what he does usually he loves it in here.

Blu Thu 14-Aug-08 14:44:01

If he flops over, I would take him to vets.

cornsilk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:44:02

could he have eaten anything that's upset his tummy?

kerryk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:47:02

got the vets at 4-20 (now panicing about how much that will cost)

just tried to prop him up again and he fell right over onto his side sad

kerryk Thu 14-Aug-08 15:03:45

dd just went to check on him and he was lying on his side all streched out.

i ran to get my male neightbour who just moved in and i had never spoke to before blush and he was lovely. came round and put the rabbit in a box for me. said he was not quitw gone but nearly there.

i think by now he will be totally gone but i am to afraid to go and look in the box.

dd is devestated.

cornsilk Thu 14-Aug-08 15:04:23

sorry sad

CvQ Thu 14-Aug-08 15:04:33

oh kerry sad

kerryk Thu 14-Aug-08 15:08:53

stupid question- are we allowed to just bury him in the garden when dh comes home tomorrow.

i am hoping it will help the dd's understand a bit more if they know what has happened to his body iykwim.

kerryk Thu 14-Aug-08 15:10:26

i cant believe this has all happened in less than an hour.

scorpio1 Thu 14-Aug-08 15:11:28

our cat is buried in our garden, she has a little slate with her name on it.

Sorry for you and dd sad

RustyBear Thu 14-Aug-08 15:20:38

Sorry to hear this sad
DD's rabbit is buried in our garden - we put a paving slab on top of the grave so our visiting fox wouldn't dig her up. Unless you have a communal garden, it's fine to bury him there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now