Talk

Advanced search

DD wants a clownfish for her birthday. Are they very difficult to keep?

(12 Posts)
Ceolas Tue 12-Aug-08 15:04:41

We have had a few goldfish lasting a couple of years each. Not an amazing fish-keeping history hmm

What do we need? I understand they're marine fish and not tropical so it's salt water. Will it be expensive to set up the tank? Can I just have one little fish swimming about on its own or will he need some pals?

Also, I had a quick look in the pet shop this morning and what was labelled clownfish was miniscule and looked nothing like Nemo. Do they grow into their appearance?

Grateful for any advice/tips.

TooTicky Tue 12-Aug-08 15:05:50

I think it's tricky keeping the salt levels right.

bamzooki Tue 12-Aug-08 19:37:38

Marine tanks are WAY more hard work, tricky and expensive, and while I think you could have just one in a tank, I think you would need to have coral etc in there for it to live on/in, but don't quote me on that bit.

But seriously - do some research on what is involved in maintaining a marine tank before you decide. It is a whole different kettle of fish to tropical.
One place to start
I have tropical, and think marine tanks are amazing, but a) can't afford one, b) am not not prepared to spend my life monitoring water parameters.

Smithagain Tue 12-Aug-08 19:43:29

In a nutshell, yes they are difficult and yes, it will be very expensive to set a tank up.

Could you talk her into some easier fish and set up a little tropical freshwater tank for her? Go to a decent aquarium stockist (like a big garden centre with fish outlet) and ask for advice about a starter kit for a tropical tank.

Ceolas Fri 15-Aug-08 08:58:56

OK the fish in the pet shop was a clown loach. Is that the same thing?

AlexanderPandasmum Fri 15-Aug-08 09:03:30

No, a clown loach is a tropical fish.

ChopsTheDuck Fri 15-Aug-08 09:03:34

clown loach are tropical, lot easier to look after.

AlexanderPandasmum Fri 15-Aug-08 09:07:30

Looks quite similar though. I had clown loaches in my tropical tank when I was young - go OK with other tropical fish too.

A clown fish

A clown loach

ChopsTheDuck Fri 15-Aug-08 09:09:31

Only thing is though, clown loach can grow to 6-7" and you need a group of them so you'd need a bigger tank than you probably want for your dd. I have a pair, about 4 years old now in a 220l tank.
I'd look at something like some of the more robust tetras or a siamese fighting fish (very attractive) that would be happier in a small set up and are fairy hardy.

goblinvalley Fri 15-Aug-08 09:24:58

Marine fishkeeping is very expensive, time consuming and difficult to keep the water stable.

It can be a great hobby smile I kept marines for 5 years.

You will need a big tank, at least 48" long. The bigger the tank, the more stable the water conditions. Smaller tanks deteriorate very quickly in water quality.

Corals are very hard to keep - they require almost perfect conditions - more filtration, protein skimming, etc.

I would try and dissuade her. Maybe set up a tropical tank - there are some lovely colourful fish you can get.

bethoo Fri 15-Aug-08 09:40:34

cant you get clown fish that are either salt or tropical?

Ceolas Fri 15-Aug-08 10:49:56

Thanks all. We just looked them up on wikipedia. Don't reckon we are up to the maintenace of a marine tank yet and I'd hate to fork out all that money and kill the poor fish in a few weeks.

I think I might have persuaded her towards some fancy goldfish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now