Talk

Advanced search

Please help Hennipenni's DD

(21 Posts)
hennipenni Tue 12-Aug-08 11:38:17

hi this is hennipenni's daughter and i am the owner of 3 pet Giant African Land Snails.
me amongst many other snail lovers are aware that in Brixton Market, London, Giant Snails are being sold as a food item and kept in VERY poor conditions. I am helping to raise awareness by getting people to sign a petition to stop this or for the snails to be kept in better conditions.
The snails are kept in baskets in their hundreds with very little food or water and are prone to diseases that will kill them.

You may think they are just snails but they are living creatures that dont deserve to be kept in these conditions.

I feel very passionatly about this and need help to get lots of signatures.

the website is brixtonsnails.googlepages.com

thankyou, katie xx

hennipenni Tue 12-Aug-08 12:11:03

Bumping for K x

dilbertina Tue 12-Aug-08 12:13:11

Out of interest...do snails feel pain?

solo Tue 12-Aug-08 12:14:51

That's an odd question dilberta hmm

solo Tue 12-Aug-08 12:15:23

*dilbertina

littlelapin Tue 12-Aug-08 12:16:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

watsthestory Tue 12-Aug-08 12:20:15

Message withdrawn

hennipenni Tue 12-Aug-08 12:27:18

thankyou. katie
p.s dilbertina, yes snails can feel pain, if i accidently poke mine then they wont come out for another 2 days lol

madcol Tue 12-Aug-08 12:29:10

Snails aren't mammals and it is a little difficult to get excited about a snail but no animals shoudl be badly treated apin or no pain. What do they do with them BTW?

littlelapin Tue 12-Aug-08 12:35:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hennipenni Tue 12-Aug-08 12:38:37

The snails that don't sell are put out with the rubbish. These are wild caught snails that aren't indegenous to the uk.

hennipenni Tue 12-Aug-08 12:44:48

Sorry read madcol reply wrong. they're sold for food.

hennipenni Tue 12-Aug-08 12:47:56

DD reliabally informs me that they're molluscs. HP

TrinityRhino Tue 12-Aug-08 12:49:56

signed smile

hennipenni Tue 12-Aug-08 13:01:48

thanks xx

dilbertina Tue 12-Aug-08 14:07:31

I think it is relevent if the snails are actually suffering or not, although I would agree they should not be actively mistreated in any case......

...and also feeling bit guilty about the usual garden snails that my chickens delight in devouring......

Katie, just a thought, has anyone reported this to the local environmental health officer? Anything being sold as food has to be sold under strict guidelines and it would seem these aren't. The stall needs to be registered and fulfill various rules.

It may be easier to get it stopped on food safety grounds rather than animal cruelty grounds.

Good luck!

hennipenni Tue 12-Aug-08 14:38:47

yes, some friends od mine have written to the goverment and done as mutch as they can but still nothing is being done
thankyou xx

hennipenni Tue 12-Aug-08 14:43:21

and you shouldnt feel guilty about your chickens because that is nature, an even if its nature for us to eat the gals, they still could atleast be treated with some respect, atleast the garden snails live happy lives untill they are eaten

hennipenni Tue 12-Aug-08 19:32:46

bumb :D

Alambil Tue 12-Aug-08 22:36:42

That's a good point actually - isn't all this chicken stuff about "making their lives good until they're eaten" ... why should it be different for other animals/molluscs/whatever!

hennipenni Sat 16-Aug-08 13:31:19

more signatures would be greatfully recieved

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now