Talk

Advanced search

Do dogs go senile?

(6 Posts)
LolaTheShowgirl Mon 11-Aug-08 10:57:44

I have a 16 yr old dog. He always howls for me even when i'm in the house amongst other things. It does my head in but could he have dementia or something?

bella29 Mon 11-Aug-08 15:24:20

Yes, they can become senile. There's a good factsheet here
HTH

bubblagirl Mon 11-Aug-08 15:26:07

could your dog be losing sight or hearing as our poor dog was losing both and needed reassurance and loving to know wasnt alone we found putting old top on our dogs bed with our perfume on helped calm alot as could smell us

brimfull Mon 11-Aug-08 15:29:06

my dog is losing her marbles

she "talks" a lot now

and stares at walls hmm
vet said she cold be getting dementia

FioFio Mon 11-Aug-08 17:52:53

Message withdrawn

LittleB Tue 12-Aug-08 20:14:27

My old collie went senile, strange behaviour and pooing in the house, she was 15, there are drugs that you can try. We tried 2 different drugs for a while but neither really helped her, but she did improve alot when we got our puppy, only for a few months though - her arthritus got her in the endsad. Might be worth a trip to your vet to see about the senility pills, they are fairly pricey though if you haven't got insurance, over £1 per day for my collie and that was almost 2 years ago, and I imagine there are potential side effects too, it depends how much of a problem the senility is too. Unless a puppy would cheer your dog up toowink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now