Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What bugs make good pets for children?

(15 Posts)
lexcat Sun 10-Aug-08 14:15:01

DD 7 has a real thing about bugs and alwayes making pets out of ones in the garden. Was thinking of getting her a pet of some sort and felt an incest would go down better then a hamster or gerbil.
I know stick incects and cockroachs are the common ones. I was also looking at millepieds. Or are their any spiders which would be suitable.
Anyone advice I would be greatful of.

SparklyGothKat Sun 10-Aug-08 14:18:40

a corn snake. We have one and she is great. The kids love holding her and find her really interesting (especially when she sheds her skin)

lexcat Sun 10-Aug-08 14:47:09

How easy is a corn snake to look after and what is the set up costs like.

derelicte Sun 10-Aug-08 14:50:47

TBH I'd prefer the hamster to the incest.

SparklyGothKat Sun 10-Aug-08 14:54:41

very easy, you need a heated tank, a water container (for the snake to drink and to lay in) and frozen mice (about 40p each, fed once a week)
A corn snake cost about £50-80 depending on where you go. a tank is about £80. you need a heatpad (about £10) and water pool (about £8)

DartmoorMama Sun 10-Aug-08 14:55:55

how about stock insects or land snail?

mybabysinthegarden Sun 10-Aug-08 14:59:29

Big article about them in yesterday's Times (which mbitg quickly flicked past... shudder)

BigBadMousey Sun 10-Aug-08 14:59:35

Think they breed like mad Dartmoormama (it's all that incest wink) there's someonew on our local freecycle who offers babies of each every few weeks!

lexcat Sun 10-Aug-08 15:02:39

The article is the times was what got me thinking.

hennipenni Sun 10-Aug-08 15:11:08

Giant african land snails make good pets, don't take much looking after, inexpensive to feed and don't go too far if they escape!

Janni Sun 10-Aug-08 15:20:16

The headlouse is a firm favourite with many small children.

lexcat Sun 10-Aug-08 16:17:17

Like the look of the land snail as dd loves snails. Anyone what the running cost of a heatmat I would think very low but realy don't know.

hennipenni Sun 10-Aug-08 16:24:28

Not sure what the running cost of ours is but it's not that much.

lexcat Sun 10-Aug-08 17:55:04

Still thinking land snail (she's just found a snail in the garden and playing with it now).
We do have a plastic fish tank but is that any good in the winter when I'll need a heatmat.

hennipenni Sun 10-Aug-08 21:27:09

hello lexcat,
im hennipennis daughter and i have 3 giant african land snails
to answer your question, fish tanks are ideal as long as they are a reasonable size and will be fine with the heat mats as i have kept mine in them before
i actualy keep mine in a garden propergater baought from homebase and they LOVE it!
if you have anymore questions about them then check out these cool sites that i know:
1. www.petsnails.com
2. www.petsnails.proboards3.com
3. www.thesnailtrail.co.uk

if you have anymore questions you can either ask my mum or on number 2 of above get in touch with katie

i think that having a african snail would be good cuz they are amusing, educational and they even get moody witch is funny to watch!
hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now