Talk

Advanced search

Dog knocked over by a car today. Hating the empty house. When is the right time for another?

(9 Posts)
ChairmumMiaow Wed 06-Aug-08 20:23:37

This morning our dog was knocked down by a car today and broke his spine.

DH and I are understandably upset. Its particularly sad because our other dog died a couple of months ago. She was a bit of a biter and it was a relief that we wouldn't have to worry about what to do with her and our now 6 month DS. The remaining dog had been really happy and really really well behaved since then, so his death was even worse for us.

I now want another dog. I've always lived with dogs, and can't imagine not having one in the house, which already feels empty. DH isn't sure yet, which is fair enough, so we're waiting a while to decide whether to get one or not. In the meantime, I want to have a good think about what sort of dog to get.

One one hand, we've always had rescue dogs, but I'm not sure we can get one that will be both reliable with DS (we'd been enjoying having a trustworthy dog, and things will only get worse when DS learns to move!) and spritely enough to run 5k plus most mornings with DH (exercising the dog helps him with his motivation).

I'd like a puppy but we don't want to spend lots of money, and wouldn't get a pedigree anyway. I have no idea where you get "free to a good home" puppies from reliable people! On the plus side, it seems like the right time, as I'm at home full time for the next 6 months, and won't be going back to work full time for a good few years. I think it would be lovely for DS to grow up with a puppy - and I know we'd have to be careful but we can arrange the house to manage that ok.

Dog owners, what are your opinions?

I'm so sorry to hear that, your poor dog

The right time for another is when it feels right for you - if you feel ready tomorrow then do it.

As for choosing the right dog I would say you should consider rescues. A good rescue will be able to give you a history of ownership and may even have kept the dog in a foster home with children so you know they're OK with wee ones. Please consider a greyhound!

A puppy is an incredible amount of work, especially with a 6 month old child to care for. You run the risk, particularly if you get a 'challenging' individual (!), of not being able to devote the time to training and ending up with more of a problem dog than you would have had otherwise. And a pup won't be able to do 5k runs each day for a good while yet.

I hope you have success when you are both ready for another. Dog's Trust is a good starting point, but try dogpages.org.uk for local rescues.

newpup Wed 06-Aug-08 20:32:25

I am really sorry about your dog. In my honest opinion I think it is a bit soon to be thinking of another dog. I think you should give yourself a little time to grieve for the dog you have just lost. When you are ready, I would always go for a puppy in a home with young children , as they can grow up together and you can teach the pup how to behave with children. Perhaps you could give yourself a little time to grieve and think about what you both want to do. I am really sorry about your dog.

newpup Wed 06-Aug-08 20:36:31

Just seen Rosemary's post. Sounds like a wise piece of advice too. Whichever you decide and whenever you are ready, I am sure it will be good for you all.

RusselBrussel Wed 06-Aug-08 20:36:56

I am so sorry about your dog sad

You will find that rescue centres will not let you have a dog if your children are aged under 5. (well that is what we found anyway)

I was wary of the 'free to good home crossbreed puppies' in the paper as I did not know the parent's temperaments.... Plus all the cross breed pups advertised were for sale, not free...

Good luck in your search.

I would give it a few weeks. Getting a new pup the day after you lose your old one seems a bit of a knee jerk reaction, but having said that I have never lost a dog suddenly so I have no idea how I would feel...

tissy Wed 06-Aug-08 20:39:19

I was going to say greyhound, too.(Caveat, I am not a dog owner, but want to be and am considering a retired greyhound).

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 06-Aug-08 20:41:49

I am sorry for your loss but I am thinking it is a bit soon tbh.

What happened for the dog to get hit by a car? sad

Olihan Wed 06-Aug-08 20:49:47

So sorry about your dog. MIL's beloved lab had to be put down a few weeks ago and she is also struggling with the empty house, so I understand where you're coming from.

However, take your time making a decision over a new dog, don't rush to get one to fill the gap - you've listed a lot of considerations, all of which are important and valid.

Greyhounds are lovely but probably wouldn't be suitable if your dh wants to take it for long runs. Greyhounds are built for sudden, short bursts of speed, not sustained running. Also, when we looked into getting a retired greyhound we were rejected because our dcs were too young - one was a baby, one was a toddler.

ChairmumMiaow Thu 07-Aug-08 14:10:12

Thanks all for your answers.

It always helps to have someone who isn't my ever-cautious, always-over-careful (but lovely) DH saying to wait a while.

I can see both sides with the puppy thing, so would have to think that one through carefully.

I have used dogpages before (years ago when we got our first dog) so when we've made a decision I'll start trawling there.

Its a bit easier today, but everything still feels very quiet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now