Talk

Advanced search

tropical fish owners - can I ask you a question please?

(6 Posts)
oxocube Wed 06-Aug-08 19:42:38

DD has had tropical fish (amongst out many other pets!) for over a year and in her 60 litre tank, she has 6 barbs, a gourami, 6 tetras and 2 small golden loaches. She has been pretty successful with them and seems to have sorted out any initial problems such as high nitrite levels etc. BUT, she really loves black mollies and any time we have introduced a couple of mollies to the tank, they have died within about 3 weeks.

We can't add any more fish now as I think the tank is pretty much at full capacity but we do have another 20 litre tank and she would like to try again with mollies. Is there anything we are missing/being stupid about? Do mollies have any special requirements that we have overlooked? Don't want to get more fish only to kill them through ignorance sad

TIA

anniepan Wed 06-Aug-08 20:48:01

It''l be the gourami stressing them out... mollies are calm and hate to be followed about by other fish... the same has happened to me several times..... i wouldnt bother trying again just yet!!

DorrisMcWhirter Wed 06-Aug-08 20:50:20

Oh god, gourami's - we called them the scats here, not for obvious reasons but because they were always scatting about!!
Yep, Mollies are lovely calm ones and gourami are not, at all!
Mollies minus gourami should = happy fish!

oxocube Wed 06-Aug-08 21:52:56

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned, the gourami is new sad When we had the mollies, we just had the cherry barbs, neon tetras and the loaches yet they still died. Thanks for the advice though - will know not to introduce gouramis with calmer community fish in the future. Any other ideas? The water conditions, temperature etc should be the same for tetras, barbs and mollies, shouldn't it?

anniepan Wed 06-Aug-08 22:03:47

dont worry aboujt water temp etc they all adjust to that.... tetras just as scatty and therefore scare the mollies... if you want mollies just have them with guppies... fish are such hard work...lol
sometimes i dont know why i bother.... i'm qt the moment growing alge its such fun to watch..lol i just cant get rid of it!!

oxocube Wed 06-Aug-08 22:13:50

thank you both smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now