Talk

Advanced search

Tell me all about keeping rabbits.

(9 Posts)
Skramble Tue 05-Aug-08 22:34:30

I have been offered two rabbits plus a hutch and all their kit for £30. Thought they might be ideal for my DD as she is desperate for a pet. Don't fancy hamsters or rats that are up all night making noise, nowhere really in the house to have anything.

Any advice or tips.

thisisyesterday Tue 05-Aug-08 22:39:10

are they used to children? if so that sounds great
make sure you keep them on the same food the current owner is giving them, they can get tummy upsets very easily.
erm, find out vet info, they need jabs once or twice a year depending on what kind of area you live in

thisisyesterday Tue 05-Aug-08 22:39:56

oh, it's good if they can get some exercise on a hard surface (ie, not just grass) as it helps keep their claws short, otehrwise you may need to get them clipped at the vets.

also, good to give them hard things to chew on so teeth don't grow too long as well

Skramble Tue 05-Aug-08 22:45:56

Oh thanks for the tips, first thing I asked was were they handled a lot.

I never realised about the hard surface, I can set up the run to go over grass and a bit of the path, has shade too.

I will use the same food, don't want a sicky rabbit smile. Def see about jags, local pets corner had a sign up about "fly something" and recomended drops.

thisisyesterday Tue 05-Aug-08 22:51:11

they're lovely pets if they're good natured I want one again, but dp digging heels in, grrrr

TheLadyofShalott Tue 05-Aug-08 22:53:49

They can live to 15, so be prepared to look after them after your DD has left home/lost interest....

Skramble Tue 05-Aug-08 23:58:48

I am not sure how old they are already getting more info before I even go and see them.

d1156075795531b003508 Mon 18-Aug-08 21:45:01

I have 4 rabbits, be aware:
* they are bloody hard work, more so than a dog, lots of cleaning out.
* pairs usually maintain their partnership if both neutered, always keep them together including vet trips / stays
* they need twice yearly jabs for Myxi and VHD
* they are classed as exotics and vets bills can be extortionate so get insurance or have savings
* they don't always make the best child's pet (depends on age of child) as most are not happy being picked up and held tightly (they are prey animals)
* they thrive if given 24 hour access to a large covered run with fox proof wire (min 6ft x 4ft x 2ft for a pair) on concrete (can dig out or fox dig in otherwise) attached to min 6ftx2ftx2ft secure hutch, Otherwise they are likely to become bored / depressed / fight. The hutches you see in pet shops are usually much too small.
* check their general health before you agree to take them (or ask a vet to do so)
* diet is simple, hay, water, small amount of pellets, same boring old veg. They are prone to tummy problems but usually ok if diet is not changed.

Besides the above they make lovely pets, don't smell much, give you lots back, good luck

Skramble Thu 21-Aug-08 00:03:57

Thanks for the additional info, not been to se them yet and I am undecided, I work away now and then and a lot in the summer so will have to get MIL or the kids to come round to feed them and clean them out, perhaps too much to ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now