Talk

Advanced search

Can a cat break her tail?

(25 Posts)
MamaGLovesMe Tue 05-Aug-08 17:39:20

DS2 just shut her tail in the dorr and she made such a heart stopping noise. I went running and it was bent a bit but moving.

Have given her some biscuits and will leave her in her room until kids in bed.

MatNanPlus Tue 05-Aug-08 17:40:13

Yes, it can fracture and if so may heal with a 'kinky' tho best get it x-rayed.

MamaGLovesMe Tue 05-Aug-08 17:40:50

Fuck.

Can't afford it.

What do I do?

PinkPussyCat Tue 05-Aug-08 17:42:34

PDSA?

I once knew someone whose cat did this - his tail was z-shaped for life, bless him

MamaGLovesMe Tue 05-Aug-08 17:47:48

Just waiting for DH to get off the phone and off to check on pussy cat. sad

AddictedToMyEarplugs Tue 05-Aug-08 17:48:40

Yes they can. Our cat broke its tail and had to have the whole lot off as if you leave the broken bit it can become manky.

MatNanPlus Tue 05-Aug-08 17:50:10

MamaGLovesMe is the skin broken?

Signs of bruising?

Is she unhappy for you to touch her?

Touch her tail?

PinkPussyCat Tue 05-Aug-08 17:50:22

Aw let us know how poor old puss gets on MamaGsad

MamaGLovesMe Tue 05-Aug-08 17:57:16

She is in her bed. Breathing a bit fast. I spoke gently to her and stroked her head. She has an illness which means we don't touch her tail, so I am going to let her out once the kids are in bed and see how she is.

This has got to be the worse day I have had in a long time. sad

I know she is only a cat, and I have 3 real children, but I have had her since a teeny tiny kitten and she was/is everything to me.

I used to get home from work and she would be on the window sill waiting for me. These days she waits on the drive until I get back from school. I know she wants her tea but it is still nice.

My poor cat. sad

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Tue 05-Aug-08 19:15:22

Okay.

Kids in bed.

Enticed cat out of bed with some smoked salmon. DH stroked and looked at her tail. No blood. Is straight now too. Seems okay.

Can breathe a bit now.

whooosh Tue 05-Aug-08 19:20:07

Do keep an eye on her though....we went on holiday and left a friend's daughter "cat-sitting".Came home and said cat was definitel y not herself but nothing obviously wrong-despite very close inspection/rubbing/squeezing.Ten days later it looked like she had something stuck on her tail-on closer inspection it was more serious.Took her to the vet and she had to have it amputated-vet said it had been shut in a very heavy doorsad.
Poor cat had to have further op as amputated end didn't heal properly so they had to chop mor eoffsad.
That said,she is a fab cat,aged 14,rules the roost and looks quite amusing with only a third of her tail.

bentneckwine1 Tue 05-Aug-08 19:52:01

Have a look at photos on my profile...my kitten broke his tail just last week and is still feeling sorry for himself!!!

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Tue 05-Aug-08 20:00:15

So maybe not out of the woods yet? sad

Will it be obvious? She is oldish (nearly 14) and sleeps a lot. Currently curled up on the kitchen chair. Just stroked her and on her tail. Didn't fight me.

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 20:51:25

bloodyhell imnotmamag, you are having a bad day Im sure your cat will be fine. Firstly, you need to make sure that the cat has a blood supply to her tail, ie, nothing has been crushed or trapped, so it should not feel cold to the touch. That being the case she will need to see a vet as soon as possible, well the morning will be ok. Dont panic and go for out of hours service, will cost a mint.

If IF, you need to take that cat, explain your situation BEFORE you see the vet and im pretty sure, so long as you offer to pay in installments and pay SOMETHING straight away they will be understanding.

I know what it is like to struggle with money and its pretty horrible.

If you are really REALLY stuck with money and you can't afford to pay just now, you could approach your local cats protection league and they might be able to help.

The PDSA is awkward as you have to be in receipt of benefits and registered in advance.

Honestly im sure that kitty will be fine. I think you would notice if she had broken it as she might hold it at an awkward angle. Not always though.

whooosh Tue 05-Aug-08 20:53:48

Just keep an eye on her.
You will know if she isn't "quite right".
Bless her-at 14 it is loely to know she has someone who loves her.
Don't worry about vets bills...there is always a waywink

PinkTulips Tue 05-Aug-08 20:56:55

3 of mine did it.

it heals with a kink but doesn't bother them too much.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Tue 05-Aug-08 21:53:38

Just put her to bed. She seems okay. tail is straight. That's okay, right? [hopeful]

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 22:31:01

When you say straight, do you mean rigid straight? Or just normal straight? Honestly don't worry. You'll know if she is not right as if she is in pain she will exhibit this by not eating and being listless, She'll be fine

PinkTulips Tue 05-Aug-08 23:34:58

it honestly never bothered mine much, we only realised a few days afterwards each time that it was actually broken when we felt a kink.

they're tough creatures and i don't think there're many nerves in the tail.... like i said, after the initial yowl none of mine seemed bothered

PinkPussyCat Wed 06-Aug-08 08:19:56

How is she this morning ImnotMamaG?

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 06-Aug-08 08:24:48

It seems normal straight.

She has had her breakfast. Just walking past me now and has sat down.

I am dreading today but if the cat is okay it is one less stress.

Ledodgy Wed 06-Aug-08 08:27:11

My mum did this to our cat when I was younger, by accident of course and the poor thing lost 2 inches of her tail there and then. She ran round the house for an hour screaming splashing blood everywhere and then was fine. Just had a very short tail for the rest of her life. She lived until she was twelve.

lucyellensmum Wed 06-Aug-08 10:13:44

The cat will be fine. Hope today is good for you. It at least looks like it wont rain (fingers crossed)

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 06-Aug-08 10:18:43

Kids already fighting each other and being rude to me.

About to go and gt the last bit of school stuff and some milk. Can't spend much so Tesco it is.

Raining here

PinkPussyCat Wed 06-Aug-08 12:53:11

Glad to hear puss isn't too bad! Hope the rest of your day is oksmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now