Talk

Advanced search

urgent advise needed dog has bitten my dh, what should i do?

(9 Posts)
prettypurpledaisy Tue 05-Aug-08 09:51:24

I have a three year old westie she is good most of the time but earlier this yar she bit my dh when he tried to take some food from her. We gave her the benefit of the doubt and tried only giving her food if she sat. But yesterday she was attacking a hedgehog and when he tried to get her away from it she bit him quite badly. She is only aggressive to him but I am concerned she will bite one of dcs or their friends.
Please advise I don't want to rehome her but feel I can't trust her.

whooosh Tue 05-Aug-08 09:52:42

If you really feel you can't trust her but can't rehome her then your only option is a muzzle I am afraid.....

BlueDragonfly Tue 05-Aug-08 09:55:31

If she had bitten one of your DCs would you be asking the same question?

rehome, muzzle or put down

Alambil Tue 05-Aug-08 12:28:13

Send DH to A&E

Find the phone book - ring a trainer - one that discusses dog behaviour as well as obedience

She's above her station and needs bringing down a peg or three.

Do it NOW.

You needn't muzzle her - she isn't dangerous. She was just protecting what was "hers". She needs to learn that it's yours - not hers. She eats and plays at your mercy. When you decide it's over, it's over - no answering back, so to speak.

My mum's dog bit my dad a few weeks ago; he tried to take something from her. He went to the hospital and the next day took her to mum's boss (who is a dog trainer).

It's sorted; in 4 lessons.

DS is her best friend; I don't leave them alone but thats because she's a dog that's still in training, not because she bit dad.

AnAngelWithin Tue 05-Aug-08 12:31:43

erm. he tried to take food from her? most dogs defend 'their' things.

ring a trainer if you still want to keep the dog. rehome if you really can't trust the dog.

LittleB Tue 05-Aug-08 12:38:49

Training can help, like others have said. You should be able to take food and other items from your dog without them getting aggressive, we trained ours to do this by taking away his food part-way through a meal then adding something yummy, like some grated cheese and giving it back. He'll let anybody take anything from him, but he does protect his toys from others dogs with a growl. With training your dog should learn that he is below your dh in the pack order. I wouldn't leave your dc alone with your dog though and keep a close watch when he has food or toys until you are confident with his training.

prettypurpledaisy Tue 05-Aug-08 15:34:27

Thanks for the advice have just rung dog behaviour man and he will be doing a home visit to try and rectify the situation. If no luck with this i will have to consider rehoming. Thanks again.

newpup Tue 05-Aug-08 16:10:33

I agree with the above, try a dog trainer. A dog must let you take its food or toy or anything from it willingly. This needs to be taught as a puppy but a trainer will know if it can be taught to an adult dog. I definately would not leave your dcs alone with the dog until it is sorted. Good Luck.

Alambil Tue 05-Aug-08 18:26:06

A dog can learn new things at any time - you just have to keep at it and not give up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now