Talk

Advanced search

Had no sleep with new puppy, what do we do???!!

(14 Posts)
memoo Sun 03-Aug-08 22:55:35

We got our new puppy yesterday, she is only 10 weeks old and an absolute darling.

So last night we put her in her bed in the kitchen, and she cried almost constantly from 11pm until 6 this morning.

Bringing her upstairs with us isn't an option as DP and I firmly believe that she should remain downstairs in her won bed at night.

So I know the crying is going to continue for a while but how long will it take until she settles? I lay awake all last night listening to her, i'm knackered today, its like having a new baby.

any tips would be great!

SlothyMcFrothy Sun 03-Aug-08 22:58:33

Aw poor wee thing
Years and years ago when i had my 1st dog as a pup he cried and cried for the 1st 3-4 days.I ended up sleeping on the sofa with him and then he got used to being in the kitchen.I used to put a warm bottle in his basket and an alarm clock wrapped in a towel(is supposed to comfort)

bethoo Sun 03-Aug-08 23:00:22

sadly there is nothing much you can do. she is adjusting to a new environment and being separated from her siblings and mother. it will not be long til she is sleeping soundly.
i suggest playing with her alot in the evening to tire her out but not just before you go to bed as she will be excitable. perhaps stay with her til she becomes sleepy.

A baby of that age would be exactly the same. 7 hours is a long, long time to be left alone when you've had the company and security of your mum and siblings all of your life.

Personally I think if you want to get housetraining sorted out quickly then that's too long to leave her overnight anyway.

Warm bottle and alarm clock are good suggestions, and you could try a radio on low. A decent meal before bed will help her feel contented.

Do you have a crate for her? If you do, and you make this her haven where she's safe, secure and undisturbed (this is a golden rule) you will find she settles in it quickly. But I would definitely suggest a trip outside in the early hours to give her the opportunity to empty herself outside.

ilovemydog Sun 03-Aug-08 23:12:12

I usually crumble and bring the puppy upstairs (have waterproof matress covers!)

But Rosemary's advice is right and proper.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sun 03-Aug-08 23:12:22

mine did that when i moved house she was upset as had previosly slept on the landing with the bedroom doors closed but the landing in this house wasnt big enough so she had to be moved to the kitchen try a radio the background noise will comfort her

tink123 Mon 04-Aug-08 08:53:00

be better after few nights. our puppy only cried for 3 night and then nothing

oops Mon 04-Aug-08 08:55:30

Message withdrawn

youcannotbeserious Mon 04-Aug-08 08:59:13

The breeder I got my dog from told me to put the crate / bed alongside my bed for the first few days and then (when the dog had gotten used to the new bed) put the bed down wherever the dog would be sleeping.

However, my dog never missed his 'dog' family at all.. and he still sleeps on my bed! blush

So, honestly, think you just have to tough it out. Rosemary's advice is sound....

tissy Mon 04-Aug-08 09:03:00

a friend gave her new puppy a cuddly toy for company...might be an idea?

bella29 Mon 04-Aug-08 09:32:02

My pup took 3 nights to sleep through, and I took him out for a wee whenever he needed it during those nights (i.e. midnight, 2 am & 5am). He now sleeps from 11pm until 5.30am, sometimes 6am and very rarely 7am.

newpup Mon 04-Aug-08 09:33:37

Hi. We have had our 10 week old puppy for a week and last monday I came on here to ask the same thing!! Okay. Most puppies cry for the first 3 nights on their own. Ours howled for the first 2 nights , all night! My advice is to leave her in her crate with water, soft bedding ie. a washable towel, a soft toy to chew or cuddle and maybe leave the radio on. I am of the, do not go down camp, but others disagree. My theory is that if they learn you will come if they whine and cry , they will always do this. It is hard, I hated it but it will only be for a few nights. The first few days I got up at 5.30 am to let her out as I figured this was long enough but she makes it through to 6am now. There is another thread on here, that several of us with new puppies are posting on . Come and join us if you want, it saved my sanity last week! smile

saltire Mon 04-Aug-08 09:51:36

When we got our now 19 week old puppy, he was only 8 weeks old. To make things difficult, we got whilst staying at ym mums house, so it wasn't as if we could put him into his new bed area straight away. We had him int eh room with us for the few nights at my mums, if he woke and was crying through the night we just spoke quietly to him and he settled again, when we got back here was did the same, then he got moved into what is now classed as his bedroom. He has a big old duvet to lie on, andtoys etc. We do have a crate, which we ahd to get becasue he was trying to climb and chew his metal frame on his paw. He is quite settled now

memoo Mon 04-Aug-08 10:21:44

Thanks for all the advice, she was fine for the first couple of hours last night but then cried from 2 until just after 5 when I got up and let her out.

We got her from a dog rescue centre, she had been abondoned on a tow path near a river with her 3 sisters. So she isn't really use to her mum but she is defiantely missing her sisters, I can tell she looks a little lost at times.

At the moment she has a dog bed with her blanket in that she had at the rescue centre. She also has some of her toys in there and her water bowl is close by, I make sure i fill it before we go to bed. I'm definately going to try the radio and hotwater bottle ideas.

I'm going to go and have a look at the new puppy thread you mentioned newpup, I have so many questions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now