Talk

Advanced search

talk me out of getting a kitten...........

(73 Posts)
flipflopper Sat 02-Aug-08 15:21:31

Just been to visit one of my clients and she has a litter of gorgeous kittens!!
They were 6 weeks old and so cute but I have got a one yr old labrador, and not sure what he would be like
He will try and chase cats but only to play dont think he would bite.....

Tell me im being stupid and I dont need the hassle

CaptFabioHiltsCatInTheCooler Sat 02-Aug-08 15:21:57

No.

me23 Sat 02-Aug-08 15:24:58

ok we have a 14 week old kitten, he drives us mad with scratching us, dd currently has a long sore scratch on her cheek where cat got her. and she wasnt even bothering him.
we have to lock him in kitchen at night so he doesnt keep us up by going for us.
he keeps getting litter out of his tray.

LuckySalem Sat 02-Aug-08 15:25:38

Dogs - esp young dogs can get used to having cats around. However, if I were you. Before you get the cat ask a local rescue if you can bring your dog to cat test him.

flipflopper Sat 02-Aug-08 15:26:54

would love to get a grown cat as i know kittens are hard work, but it would probably hate the dog, and these kittens are already with dogs

flipflopper Sat 02-Aug-08 15:28:17

Good idea LS, although worried he might show me up as he is very excitable in new places esp with other animals there!

Isabellasmam Sat 02-Aug-08 15:28:39

scratched furniture and people, walking on kitchen benches, sleeping in cot/moses basket/bed, hissing, dead animals in the house, spraying!!! Guess I'm a dog person smile.

LuckySalem Sat 02-Aug-08 15:30:55

Don't worry about it - I expect they will be happy to do it.
I'd rather be shown up than get a kitten and watch my dog kill it - Which could happen.

A hint if you decide to get one - Get a male. We had Salem when he was about 6 months old and he is gorgeous, loves cuddles, comes when you call him and we've never had problems with him around DD despite her pulling clumps of hair out of him.
However, we also got his mum who we have to watch around her and is only lovable on her terms.

LuckySalem Sat 02-Aug-08 15:31:39

Oh yeh - watch cots they will curl up in them.
Spraying isn't a problem if you get them neutered.

CaptFabioHiltsCatInTheCooler Sat 02-Aug-08 15:32:12

'kittens are hard work'
how very dare you

There is a lot of antikittenism on this thread.

<swish>

flipflopper Sat 02-Aug-08 15:36:10

I have had a cat before so I knwo about cats and I love them, my youngest is 3.5 so no cots. I have always found male cats to be more affectionate, but some say females are better after having had kittens themselves.

Anyway, this isnt talking me out of it..

LuckySalem Sat 02-Aug-08 15:39:15

That's cos we're not gonna talk you out of getting a kitten..

I will however, try to persuade you to get a kitten from a rescue instead. That way you get to make sure you'll manage and I expect they'll let you take your dog to make sure he's catproof.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 02-Aug-08 15:41:41

there is a thread in chat at the moment about the 'lovely gifts' that cats bring thier unsuspecting owners home. have a look at that it should do the trick wink

cremolafoam Sat 02-Aug-08 15:45:47

can you cope with this every morning?

LuckySalem Sat 02-Aug-08 15:48:19

cremola - LMAO grin

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Sat 02-Aug-08 15:48:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CaptFabioHiltsCatInTheCooler Sat 02-Aug-08 15:50:17

agrees with Malory

me23 Sat 02-Aug-08 16:21:11

haha cremola!

charliecat Sat 02-Aug-08 16:21:59

my lovely kitten is now a VERY expensive diabetic fat cat who needs injected twice a day.
Dont do it.

me23 Sat 02-Aug-08 17:06:20

gosh charliecat! when did you find out about the diabetes? what were the symptoms?

copingvquietly Sat 02-Aug-08 17:09:06

it will crap in your laundryshock

charliecat Sat 02-Aug-08 17:35:58

He kept weing everywhere, which wasnt him at all...so i took him to the vets..that visit cost £90...and so the bills continued
AND I have to inject the bloody creature.
Its £15 every 10-13 days, for the insulin and the needles.
When hes not right its 90 for the vet to observe him and take his blood for the day
<faint>

HumphreyPillow Sat 02-Aug-08 17:41:03

we have been v lucky with our cat.
she is 16.5, and has only ever needed her yearly booster.
<<touches wood>>
she is a fab member of the family.
and rules the roost - the dog trembles at her footsteps. grin
she used to walk to school with us, and wait around all day for the children, then walk home with us.

HumphreyPillow Sat 02-Aug-08 17:41:36

<<forgot point of thread blush>>

charliecat Sat 02-Aug-08 17:49:20

Shhh, its the bad things threadgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now