Talk

Advanced search

My dog has an unexplained sore.

(8 Posts)
Electricgooberella Thu 31-Jul-08 10:52:39

I just noticed this morning that she has a sore on her bottom lip. She is a Boxer, so she her top lip overhangs it.
The sore is not bleeding, just red and raw looking, it's not bothering her as I was wiping her at the time that I found it.
Do I leave it but keep an eye on it?
Take her to vets?
Or,
Put something on it? Eg. Savlon, Vaseline?

Backgammon Thu 31-Jul-08 10:55:29

I normally ring the vets to ask for advice when I'nm not sure - often they tell me it's nothing to worry about and not to come in.

Shitehawk Thu 31-Jul-08 10:59:12

It could be stomatitis - which usually stems from a gum problem like gingivitis. Does the rest of his mouth look sore?

Don't put anything on it; get her to the vet.

Electricgooberella Thu 31-Jul-08 11:01:02

No, just this patch.
As she has been so hot recently I thought maybe it was a result of her mouth always being wet from panting and drooling.

Shitehawk Thu 31-Jul-08 11:02:57

Might be.

I would still get it checked out, though. Or give the vets a ring and ask for advice; if it's the heat or the slobbering it may be something which is pretty common in boxers and they could put your mind at ease.

Electricgooberella Thu 31-Jul-08 11:05:36

Yes I will thanks both of you.

Electricgooberella Thu 31-Jul-08 11:19:29

Apparently it is common, I have just been told. I am to keep it clean, I have some Hibiscrub at home which I use for her eye condition. Hopefully Mother Nature will do the rest.
Thanks.

Shitehawk Thu 31-Jul-08 13:40:56

Glad the vets were able to help.

Hope it clears up soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now