Talk

Advanced search

Getting new cats before a new baby arrives?

(4 Posts)
MildWest Wed 30-Jul-08 11:05:17

We're thinking about getting 2 young cats - 5 months old. I've had cats before, and really wanted to get some more - however, I've never had a baby before! Am I mad to be thinking about getting cats only a few months before a baby arrives? Does anyone have any experiance of this, is it a good idea? Do cats generally object to new babies, or just ignore them and carry on?

MrsTittleMouse Wed 30-Jul-08 11:10:55

I wouldn't do it. Not because of the cats, because of you. You might be lucky enough to sail through your last trimester, have a wonderful labour and delivery and an angel of a newborn. But even so, you are likely to be very very tired in the next 6-9 months and I just wouldn't want to take on any more responsibility that I had to.

bethoo Wed 30-Jul-08 11:11:01

may be an idea to wait til baby is born and see if yo could cope with having cats and baby!

bethoo Wed 30-Jul-08 11:13:27

i had two cats and two dogs when baby came home and cats were easy as just feed and water, it was the dogs really wanting their walks. i also must say that i have to supervise ds with the cats more than the dog as he tolerates everything whereas some cats are quite highly strung and dont take to kindly to being poked and prodded when trying to chill.
if yo feel confident after the baby comes then go for it. but then there is no hurry really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now