Talk

Advanced search

How do I know if my guineas are pregnant???

(4 Posts)
wohmum Mon 28-Jul-08 23:37:30

A couple of months ago we bought 4 lovely guinea pigs from a pet shop. They were all supposed to be girls but about a month ago my friend had a look to sex them and thought 1 may be a boy. Now I'm convinced that we've got 3 pregnant girls a 1 very rampant boy! The girls definitely seem fatter with round tums whilst the boy seems sieek and slim .

Will I be able to tell or just have to come home one day to find some additions to our family? and if they are pg is it safe to leave them all together or will the boy get aggressive to his babies???

Not sure quite how we would cope with 10 of them but am quite excited about it really!

Baby guinea pigs are born, fully furred with eyes open and quickly start running around.

They are very self sufficent and ridiculously cute.

Just leave them to it, thry get fat quite quickly and have a short gestation.

you may want to seperate the male or get him 'done' or you will have a housefull of babies, but he shouldn't hurt them.

The baby boy pigs can get their mummies and sisters up the duff from a very early age! you have been warned.

Good luck grin

GordonTheGopher Tue 29-Jul-08 20:20:33

Blimey. If you can keep an eye on them while they are giving birth please do... it's v common to have still births which can be revived. I had 2 stillbirths in a litter of 5. And one of the live ones had to be syringe fed every two hours!

Have you not had a good look at their bits? I know the penis sticks out if you push either side. (Yes I know too much lol). You can probably find pics online.

wohmum Tue 29-Jul-08 21:25:14

thanks all - will try to have check later or in any case will have to wait and see i guess!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now