Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cats/kittens.......do we get 1 or 2 ?????

(23 Posts)
nutcracker Tue 08-Feb-05 20:57:25

Right it looks like we are now getting a cat or kitten and are hopefully going to visit a rescue centre soon.

The kids want a cat each, but i know we cannot afford to vaccinate and nueture 2 cats.

There are a few there that are mother and daughters of about 8mths and 18mths and so these will have already been vacinated and nuteured ( i think).
Wouold that be a good idea ???
or should we just get one ??

nutcracker Tue 08-Feb-05 21:00:17

I like this pair

here

nutcracker Tue 08-Feb-05 21:02:05

Also like this one here

tiredemma Tue 08-Feb-05 21:04:14

nico and smudge, defo- how cute

nutcracker Tue 08-Feb-05 21:05:43

and this one here

nutcracker Tue 08-Feb-05 21:07:21

I know they are lovely aren't they.

Bit of a stupid question but could the kids rename them or do you have to stick to their names ??

Kids want Dora (as in the explorer) and Daphne (as in scooby doo)

RTKangaMummy Tue 08-Feb-05 21:08:47

we have 2 sisters so would say get 2 as they chase each other

rather than up your curtains

but they are all really cute

tiredemma Tue 08-Feb-05 21:10:13

you could rename them i suppose, they would soon get used to being called something else.

i dont normally like cats but those two are sweet- i like the little story of them being a pair aswell and not being seperated...aawww!

nutcracker Tue 08-Feb-05 21:10:21

Lol kanga, good point.

Dp hasn't actually said yes yet, but has stopped saying No, which basically means, that he knows he has lost

SPARKLER1 Tue 08-Feb-05 21:13:22

I am so chuffed to hear that you are getting rescue cats. There are so many that need re-homing all the time and I find it sad when I see new kittens advertised the local paper.
We got our cat from the RSPCA and she was in a cage with another cat. I wish to this day that we brough both of them home.

prunegirl Tue 08-Feb-05 21:14:39

Message withdrawn

SPARKLER1 Tue 08-Feb-05 21:14:42

We chose our cat because she had been there the longest (8 months) and she didn't have a tail. I didn't think she would have as much chance of being re-homed as the others. There was no doubt as to who we were bringing home. As it turns out she is the sweetest, talkative cat I have ever known.

stupidgirl Tue 08-Feb-05 21:15:20

Definately get 2 - a lot of places will actually only home them in pairs. My 2 aren't related, but they have a really good relationship.

Also, bear in mind that the annual booster vax are expensive (my vet charges about £90 for the 2.

stupidgirl Tue 08-Feb-05 21:15:20

Definately get 2 - a lot of places will actually only home them in pairs. My 2 aren't related, but they have a really good relationship.

Also, bear in mind that the annual booster vax are expensive (my vet charges about £90 for the 2.

nutcracker Tue 08-Feb-05 21:17:20

So i could get 2 seperate ones then, they don't have to be mother and daughter or siblings ??

I wouldn't mind getting the 2 black ones (2nd and 3rd links i think).

stupidgirl Tue 08-Feb-05 21:17:43

Sorry for the double post - agree that it's great you are rehoming. I used to work at the CPL and there are so many wonderful cats(and kittens) looking for homes.

RTKangaMummy Tue 08-Feb-05 21:19:26

when I was younger we had 3 cats and one of them was from complete separate litter and were all fine

our kittens were abandoned by the lake at the bottom of garden

so yes could have 2 black ones IMHO

SPARKLER1 Tue 08-Feb-05 21:20:06

Think that's what made us choose the one cat - expensive vet's bills. Still wish I'd brought the other one back though - they obviously got on well together.

JanH Tue 08-Feb-05 21:21:06

2 is good but they don't have to be related - we took in 2 sisters but they didn't get on and now both live in 2 separate other houses!!!!

philippat Tue 08-Feb-05 21:21:33

we have just the one (runt of the litter and last to find a home) and if/when we have our time again, definitely will go for 2, poor love's a bit bonkers on her own.

stupidgirl Tue 08-Feb-05 21:21:36

Probably depends on the rscue centre Nutty. Go along and talk to them. I wanted siblings, but at the time they didn't have any that were suitable (with young kids). I went along and asked them about it and they made suggestions as to which would get on. I absolutely adore my cats (one of them on my lap as I type) and I'm so glad we brought home the two we did. It probably took them longer to settle down - as they had to get used to each other as well as a new home, but now they are good friends and we wouldn't be without them.

nutcracker Tue 08-Feb-05 21:22:48

Well we are gonna go have a look and have a chat with someone about what woulod be best.

There are lots of cats/kittens there, far more than is shown on the website, so there should be lots to choose over. Am not going to take Dd's with us yet as they will want all of them.

sweetkitty Fri 11-Feb-05 16:35:39

would go for 2 as well kittens are mad but older cats more sedate

I have 2 cats from the same litter who can't stand the site of each other (male bullies his sister relentlessly) then about 3 years after getting them I got another male who gets on with the 2 cats great (rules the house as well).

My 3 are all indoor cats, I had a few killed on the road before I had indoor ones. Might be something to consider I've found that apart from annual vaccinations 2 of mine have never cost me anything. Annual vaccinations are £35 here and thats in London. If you are on a low income I think they do them cheaper.

Also one tip I would give you is don't feed them Whiskas or tinned supermarket food it's far too expensive IMO. Mine get Iams 10kg bag and this lasts 2 and a bit months and costs £36. Thats for 3 adult cats having one or 2 it would be even cheaper. Also get your cat litter from Aldi/Lidl type places don't bother with expensive stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now