Talk

Advanced search

A cat that I think is pregnant might be 'nesting' in my shed. Obviously I'm no expert!

(11 Posts)
3kids1cat Wed 23-Jul-08 08:22:36

For a few months we have had a female cat in the garden, hanging around with our male cat.
I'm pretty sure there is a good chance that our cat could have got her pregnant before we had him neutered in the middle of June.

The last week I have seen her going in and out of our shed through a hole in the door. She has been meowing at me a lot, and I gave her some food which she finished off very quickly. Her belly looks very swollen and when I felt underneath her, her nipples feel large. Does this sound like she's pregnant?

I have tried asking my neighbours who she belongs to and knowbody knows. She isn't wearing a collar. I'm worried that she is going to give birth in my shed, which is full of junk and not very clean. What should I do to help her?

girlywhirly Wed 23-Jul-08 09:13:53

Your cat may not be the only one this female has mated with. But yes, it seems she is pregnant. She may be microchipped, so get a vet to scan her. Contact Cats Protection and see if they can take her, but chances are they are overrun with kittens at present. At least they will advise you about care of her in the meantime. As she seems a friendly cat, she will probably rehome easily after the kittens are ready to leave her.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 23-Jul-08 09:19:17

dont worry about her giving birth in your shed! she will be fine. agree re taking her to the vets but if there is no micro chip its best to leave her in your shed where she feels most comfortable. if you bring her into your house to have her kittens your male cat may hurt/kill the kittens to protect his territory!

just make sure that she is fed and watered etc and she will do the rest. it might be that she has a home but its too noisy for her settle and have her kittens there, so dont worry either if she dissapears after her kittens have been rehomed.

3kids1cat Wed 23-Jul-08 10:11:45

Thanks for the advice, I have been out and put a box down in the shed with some newspaper and an old blanket in. I will phone the cats protection and see what they suggest.

Lovesdogsandcats Wed 23-Jul-08 20:16:58

This cat if pregnant needs regular meals of, believe it or not, kitten food. Any make, Whiskas/Felix/all do kitten food.

Can you keep her, maybe get cats Protection to rehome the kittens, spay her, then you give her a home? Two cats are not much more of a responsibility than one, so would you consider this?

CountryGirl2007 Fri 25-Jul-08 00:10:59

I'd suggest getting her spayed as soon as she has the kittens, keeping her (as the other person said, 2 cats aren't much more trouble than 1 and besides I'm sure you're cat would be glad of the company!) and re-home the kittens to only homes that you have vetted, and that agree to spaying/neutering the kittens when they are older enough (followed up by a visit from you about 6 months later to make sure they kept their word!) Good luck!

tink123 Fri 25-Jul-08 12:23:22

I would not feel obligated to do all rehoming yourself, unless you want to. It is not your cat and your cat may not be the father.

You could always write to Jeremy Kyle show and ask for a dna paternity test grin

Let the cat protection league help if it is too much.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 25-Jul-08 12:23:49

Message withdrawn

3kids1cat Fri 25-Jul-08 19:00:51

I know, cod it really is exciting. I am hoping that my cat is the father as he is a beautiful grey short haired and she is a black long haired with a lovely coat.

I would be prepared to keep her tink, she needs a bit of a clean up, but I would love a kitten too. I will either find good homes for the kittens through friends and family or call the cats protection.

If there is still no sign in a week I am going to be a bit cross, as I'm starting to think she's just a greedy cat who has duped me into feeding her and letting her use my shed as a squat.

ilovethecake Sun 27-Jul-08 12:41:51

Hi, just read your thread, any news?

FluffyMummy123 Sun 27-Jul-08 12:45:15

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now