Talk

Advanced search

My fish seems unwell .......

(8 Posts)
sandyballs Tue 22-Jul-08 21:46:28

....... it is only using one side of its body, and keeps hovering at the top of the fish tank or the bottom. Is it possible to have spinal injuries from being attacked by the other fish in the tank?

ConnorTraceptive Tue 22-Jul-08 21:48:58

Not sure it's an injury as such, my fish used to be upside down alot at the top of the tank and a few days later died.

ConnorTraceptive Tue 22-Jul-08 21:52:06

try googling "swim bladder"

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Tue 22-Jul-08 21:53:33

I think I might have posted about this before. It sounds like our goldfish did, when they developed swim bladder problems caused by overfeeding.

The (slightly comic) advice I found on a petkeeping website was to take the fish out of the tank and put it in shallow water so that it has to swim upright. Then boil one or two frozen peas, much them up and feed to the fish. The idea is that the roughage in the peas clears the blockage in the gut caused by overfeeding and then the swim bladder can work properly. Sadly, it didn't work for our fish but at least we felt we had tried!

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Tue 22-Jul-08 21:54:08

cross-post with Connor

Lubyloo Tue 22-Jul-08 21:55:17

It may sound strange but an ailing goldfish can be perked up with mineral water. A vet recommended this to my mum and it works a treat. Just replace their normal water with mineral water.

wigparty Tue 22-Jul-08 22:05:11

Hi Sandyballs, like the others have said, it definitely sounds like it could be swim bladder, I've heard the pea thing is good as well.

princessmel Tue 29-Jul-08 09:53:26

Our fish had this. I was told it was swim bladder too.
The man from the fisheries told me that they can just develop it. He didn't mention over feeeding.
He said you can get a special tonic that goes in the water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now