Talk

Advanced search

I need to rehome my 2 yr old Jack Russell can anyone help?

(61 Posts)
muppetgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 07:56:33

He's lovely but we had ds 2 last year and he doesn't get the attention he needs.
He's great with older kids (ds 1 is 4 and he's fine with him) loves to be with people. Great on walks (ie he comes back when called!) but hates to be shut away in a room away from you and wees and chews when he is. We have had to shut him in the study when ds 1 plays outside (our garden is very small so the kids all play on the grass out the front) as the front door is open and also when ds has friends to play (they are all scared stiff of dogs) so he hears the children having a fun old time without him.

We are looking for;

A family with older children
A retired couple
Someone who works outdoors
A farm/people with a large garden/land

He is;

A 2 yr old Tri-coloured, rough coat, Jack Russell (Stanley)
Male -been castrated
Micro chipped
Had all his injections
A fun playful little dog!
He gets on well with ther dogs -we also have a black lab (10)

He is fine with us until we can find him a better suited home but if anyone knows of anyone who is looking for a companion...

muppetgirl Tue 22-Jul-08 07:22:45

Hi Betho, he has lots of toys when he's in the study. We've had the ones where you hide food in and he just chewed the bottom off the toy! There is NO DOG TOY that lasts him longer than a morning.... He loves balls and his bone. He gets a little neurotic about toys in that he will spend hours pulling off half the felty coating of the tennis ball but then leave the other side? The rope toys that have tightly tied rope lasts him and hour or less. He's a great chewer. I think he's be a great ratter/rabiter if we lived more in the wild. My last Jack was a great ratter/rabiter so much we used to cook her what she caught, not the rat though! (a bit like the good life but there you go grin)

Oh yes that is a challenge -anyone know of any toy that lasts?

Grublin Tue 22-Jul-08 08:04:24

Have you tried a Kong?
It's the only thing that our Staffy X hasn't chewed through!
All other toys are lucky to last out a morning as you said.
You can buy the tube of paste that you can squirt inside the Kong, but we never have and he'll still sit there for hours biting and licking it

muppetgirl Tue 22-Jul-08 08:13:18

...we've eaten a kong! Well, he has grin

I think I could hire him out to dog toy manufacturers as a test dog.

I used to charity shop cuddly toys for my last Jack as she loved the soft ones and they are £5 ish in the shops. I was lucky though as she just played with them and didn't chew but Stan is a chewer.

Grublin Tue 22-Jul-08 08:14:59

have you tried the XL or XXL size?

Grublin Tue 22-Jul-08 08:15:54

Would a couple of those rostie bones keep him going for a bit?

muppetgirl Tue 22-Jul-08 08:20:35

Not sure on the size of kong, probably the smaller of any. The roastie bones were every popular (if it's the one I'm thinking of, a bone with a gravey type covering?)
Our black lab took it upstairs to our living room and ate it on our cream carpet!!!

Good for outside though.

muppetgirl Tue 22-Jul-08 08:22:04

but then this is the black lab that ate through dh's very expensive leather shoes to get at the red cricket ball he'd managed to get inside. His white bedroom carpet never recovered!!! (That was when I first met dh and asked him what the dubious red stain on his bedroom carpet was!)

Grublin Tue 22-Jul-08 08:42:53

The bone doesn't have any covering or gravy. I got ours from pets at home. Pretty sure they're called mini rosties or something.

muppetgirl Tue 22-Jul-08 08:55:11

will try that smile

whispywhisp Tue 22-Jul-08 09:01:22

My JRT has a Kong but I got her the largest one and I put loads of bits of dog biscuits in and trap them in with a hide chew so it drives her completely mental trying to get them all out. It keeps her happy for a good couple of hours. Kong's are supposed to be indestructable and bearing in mind my JRT would chew anything if she had the chance she's not YET managed to chew thru her Kong. She does the same with tennis balls. She'll rip off all the fluffy outside of the ball and leave the innards. She absolutely loves hide bones - the really big tough ones - one of those not only keeps her occupied but all the chewing wears her out and sends her off to sleep.

muppetgirl Tue 22-Jul-08 09:19:56

Whispy _ i was told the hide things aren't great as they are a little like pasta as they can swell in their stomache and cause blockages. What is your opinion of this?

btw Stan and I walked down to the shop last night and went through the park and had a good old play with a tennis ball which he then lost in the stream! I am going to dredge that stream in a few months and then start again!

bethoo Tue 22-Jul-08 09:33:23

it is worth getting balls that he cant actually get in his mouth, there are solid plastic ones that are apparatnly indestructable. hide treats a well, i used to do that and all you could hear was enthusiastic deep sniffles, of course with boxers ther was a trail of drool all over the sofas etc! bless, good times!
as long as your dog gets some quality time with you is all that matters.
and remember that the dog lives in the house and the neighbours kids dont so who should you really be putting first?
it gets me when i have kids over who jump around my dog, poke him then start screaming when he thinks they want to play!

Nixz Tue 22-Jul-08 09:49:17

Muppetgirl, the hide chews are also protein. Too much protein in your dogs diet is like too much wine in ours - it makes them lose control a little bit and become excitable.

I sympathise with you, I have a patterdale terrier that we got from a rescue a while ago and he is adorable but when he is outside, he is very aggressive toward other dogs and has bitten me and my DP lots of times. He also escaped from the garden and gets into trouble blah blah.....

The advise I have recvd from 2 dog trainers a behaviuoralist the RSPCA and DOGSTRUST is that he is a dangerous dog and should be destroyed. He is just very anxiuos when he is outside - definately not dangerous, when compared to a dog who attacked a baby and caused so much damage that stitches were needed. The thing is, he is causing trouble, people are wary of him when we are out, my dd is nervous and people become very cross when they are enjoying a peacful walk and my dog goes mental. With this in mind, do i destroy him? No, I do the responsible thing and try to find him that perfect forever home. Every dog has a home, its just finding it. Good luck, Im sorry i cant be more of a help to you, I just wanted you to know that I understand how difficult it is to make this decision.

whispywhisp Tue 22-Jul-08 09:51:39

Well....I've always given my dog hide chews. The larger the better cos then less likely to get eaten whole. They not only keep them busy but they're also good for their teeth and they do eventually tire them out! Having said that I can go and buy a lovely big bone for my JRT, she takes it outside and comes back indoors with an inch of dirt on the end of her nose and no bone. I then find it a week or so later half dug into the garden.

Yes I think my JRT does eat and swallow fairly big bits but its never caused her any problems down below, iykwim!

That's great that you managed to get out for a walk with Stan last night. Some good quality time - one to one with him - that's great. I went out with my JRT first thing this morning - we were out by 7am - lovely time of day - so quiet and no kids around. I much prefer to walk the dog without the kids because I find I enjoy it more - I don't have moaning and tired kids to drag along and I can concentrate on the dog more.

I'll see if I can upload a piccie of Millie on my profile.....smile

Lovesdogsandcats Tue 22-Jul-08 09:52:52

Hide bones are great, they swell a little bit (I found one in the garden that had been there weeks) but only a tiny bit. Hide bones really are great for stress,boredom etc etc and good for teeth too. All dogs need to chew.

Nixz Tue 22-Jul-08 09:55:27

I bought a king but my dog doesnt like it, no matter what things I fill it with. I bought one of them filled bone things a while ago and once he had eaten all the 'stuff', I noticed that he still loved a good old chew on it, so now I fill it with my own stuff. It has lasted about 4 months so far!!!! Bargain!

Nixz Tue 22-Jul-08 09:56:00

Erm...should say I bought a KOng - duh!

whispywhisp Tue 22-Jul-08 09:56:24

Photo on...let me introduce Millicent....smile

muppetgirl Tue 22-Jul-08 11:02:21

Fab photo! And even 'fabber' dog!
I'll try to get a piccie of Stan, I'm not sure how to reduce the quality of the photo though so may be a while...

lucyellensmum Tue 22-Jul-08 21:14:51

muppet, i take it you have changed your mind about rehoming?? not sure, dont have time to read all the threads.

Firstly, i have to say, that actually, i think that the OP isn't being irresponsible for thinking of rehoming. It might be better for the dog. So long as the dogs needs are considered and he is found a suitable home, he might pine for a few weeks but after that he will be fine.

Stanley is a fine name for a JRT i think I have a JRT called Bob - because that was all DD could say at the time. He is a livewire and i do shut him away when nervous children come round because he is over friendly and will jump up and lick. Although to be fair this happens once in a blue moon. He is laying at my feet just now - he is like a clingon - he even follows me to the toilet. However, he is left for long periods when he needs to be, he doesn't like it, but he is a dog and has to fit in with my life. On the whole, i think he is pretty happy with his lot.

With regards to the separation anxiety - might it be because you put him away in a bit of a tizz when the other kids are around? Could he somehow be taught that he has to leave visitors alone, my dog seems to be learning that himself, after an initial wash he leaves people be unless invited. He was excellent with my neice the other week i was surprised. You could try distraction with kong toys stuffed with difficult to get at food but i find they tend to get bored with them. You could try a DAP plug in, basically this is a plug in that works like an air freshener, except it gives off doggie pheremones. They are quite expensive and you have to keep them going for a few months before things settle down but they DO work. We had one for our mad rottie, it really seemed to settle him.

I do think you have had a bit of a rough ride to be honest muppet. But i do understand the other posters points of view, but i do think that it is perfectly possible to be practical and say that as your situation has changed, you don't have the best environment for the dog and rehome him. If it is the dog however that has become the problem, that is solvable, not overnight, but by training. Have you had him castrated at all? Mine is starting to look like he might need to lose his crown jewels sometime soon. Also, take heart, he is about the age of a teenager in real life, he will settle down soon. I had this with both of my rotties, they were both quite boisterous dogs, one was a rescue and had ishoos, but once they hit about 3yo they seemed to settle themselves. I am noticing this with my mums dog too. A terrier is always going to be a handful, but just easier to control maybe.

Your call, but don;t beat yourself up if you feel you need to rehome, I would avoid giving him to a rescue centre tbh, as he will have to go through being in kennels and this could be damaging if long term. Try breed rescue - your local vets should have a directory.

whispywhisp Wed 23-Jul-08 17:36:04

muppetgirl...how is it going with Stan? xx

muppetgirl Thu 24-Jul-08 22:12:33

Took him out again with a ball today and he loved it, still had to put him away with friends children though I did try to mix them but ds's fiend just wouldn't leave him alone. Am getting a gate on the front of the house -we have railings but a gap where a gate should be- so I can have the front door open when we're out the front. I am going to try to bath him tomorrow (wish me the hugest amount of luck as he hates bath time) and then a brush. I let him to roam free in the house when I went out this afternoon with our black lab and nothing was destroyed or weed on!!! (That I haven't found yet grin)

muppetgirl Thu 24-Jul-08 22:36:29

I have put a picture of Stanley on my profile

singyswife Thu 24-Jul-08 22:39:15

Are you astill looking for a home, where are you????

muppetgirl Thu 24-Jul-08 22:40:12

No sorry, did a bit of a u-turn but promised to put a piccie on my profile. Can't change the thread title now though so I'm a bit shite grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »