Talk

Advanced search

I need to rehome my 2 yr old Jack Russell can anyone help?

(56 Posts)
muppetgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 07:56:33

He's lovely but we had ds 2 last year and he doesn't get the attention he needs.
He's great with older kids (ds 1 is 4 and he's fine with him) loves to be with people. Great on walks (ie he comes back when called!) but hates to be shut away in a room away from you and wees and chews when he is. We have had to shut him in the study when ds 1 plays outside (our garden is very small so the kids all play on the grass out the front) as the front door is open and also when ds has friends to play (they are all scared stiff of dogs) so he hears the children having a fun old time without him.

We are looking for;

A family with older children
A retired couple
Someone who works outdoors
A farm/people with a large garden/land

He is;

A 2 yr old Tri-coloured, rough coat, Jack Russell (Stanley)
Male -been castrated
Micro chipped
Had all his injections
A fun playful little dog!
He gets on well with ther dogs -we also have a black lab (10)

He is fine with us until we can find him a better suited home but if anyone knows of anyone who is looking for a companion...

Lovesdogsandcats Mon 21-Jul-08 13:57:59

I was going to stay off this thread but I can't..

So, I will say it. I think you should have thought twice before you got him. How can you get rid of your dog who sounds lovely...Now you're shutting him away??when you say he loves being with people? All he wants is to play with them!If my son had friends round, I would not be locking my dog away. I would be finding boys who are not scared of dogs to come and play. Or show them he's fine and wont bite!

I know from experience because when my ds was born, I had dd who was 3 and 3 dogs!!

I see it the same as you getting rid of your child because you have just had a baby.

There are LOADS of people shoving their dogs and cats into rescue places because they have had a baby or another child and I think its disgraceful.

I feel really sorry for your dog, would take him myself as I know it would be a privelige to share my life with such a nice dog, but I have 4 pets and cannot.

He is your dog, when you took him on you also took on the responsibility to do the right thing by him. Why do you not want to do that now?

I feel really sorry for your dog, and you should be bloody ashamed of yourself. Hope he finds a family who will love him.

Thisismynewname Mon 21-Jul-08 14:08:37

Sorry but I'm with Lovecatsanddogs on this one.

I opened this expecting to hear that there was a genuine reason for you to be looking for a new home for him - i.e. that he was threatening to your children.

I can't actually see why you want to get rid of him. Also, as Lovecatsanddogs has said - why did you get him if you are now over-committed? Plenty of people manage dogs and children - seems very short-sighted of you. I know I am judging you here, but people need to think very long and hard before they make the long commitment to get a dog.

Thisismynewname Mon 21-Jul-08 14:09:25

Might I also suggest a stair gate for when you have to leave the front door open instead of locking him away?

OhNooo Mon 21-Jul-08 14:11:39

Hi muppetgirl, I'm interrested but need to speak to my husband first. I would also like to know where you live.

mum2oandh Mon 21-Jul-08 14:15:16

I don't understand why you have to shut him away when you sy that he is good with the kids?

My dog nipped my ds when he was a baby, and because of that we have had to keep them seperated ever since.

My dog is not nasty, but I cannot risk it happening again.

It has been almost impossible to live like this for the last 3 years but I would never get rid of my dog as he is my responsibility.

I would love to have a dog that is trustworthy with children and I cannot really understand your position.

piratecat Mon 21-Jul-08 14:23:33

i would also be interested. i am in west country, have large garden, access to fields, beaches. one dd6, and a cat who has no brain and would like a playmate.

Lovesdogsandcats Mon 21-Jul-08 14:25:39

mum2oandh did your dog nip for a reason eg he was pulled at, fur pulled, tail etc? My dog went for ds foot when ds was 2 and stood on dog! I understood why and never separated them, just taught ds to be careful around dog. Dogs are allowed to protect themselves. If it was for no reason at all i understand your concern, but if dog was defending himself, you don't need to seperate them!

mum2oandh Mon 21-Jul-08 14:35:58

Hmmmm I say nipped but my ds (who was 7 months old at the time) needed 16 stitches in his cheek.

We (and the behaviorist we took our dog to)
think the dog was trying to get a piece of rusk out of ds's mouth, but baby skin is so fragile.

My dog is quite large and if he had been attacking my ds his injuries would have been very severe.

He is however an old dog, and doesn't seen to like chidren much, though he loves adults. I just can't trust him anymore.

flowerybeanbag Mon 21-Jul-08 14:41:37

We have a stairgate in our hallway blocking off the stairs and the front door so there is no issue about the dog running out when the front door is open. Might be worth a try.

whispywhisp Mon 21-Jul-08 16:13:54

I have a JRTx. She is just over a year old. She is a lovely little dog, great with the kids and yes she is lively and a handful but we absolutely adore her and would never dream of getting rid of her, no matter what.

muppetgirl...your dog is chewing and weeing because he is SHUT away. You can't do this to any dog especially a JRT. They are a breed that need company. Chewing and weeing are clearly a sign he is bored, lonely and obviously upset at being shut away. It is cruel to do this to him regardless of whether or not your kids are playing outside.

JRT's love to run, chase a ball etc. Having such a small garden that doesn't accommodate your kids plus a dog is, imo, not adequate. I would never have my JRT with such a small garden that can't house both.

I really do hope you are able to rehome him because he obviously isn't suited to you and your environment at the moment.

Also!...if your DS's friends are 'scared stiff' of dogs why are you allowing them to come over? I'm sorry but when my kids have friends over I always check to see if they are ok with dogs. If not they don't come over. My dog is as much a part of my family as the kids and if friends are scared of dogs its a no-no from me. I certainly wouldn't shut the dog away to allow for kids to play. Sod that! Just imagine if your dog got out of the study, went to play and nipped one of the friends? Bloody irresponsible on your part as a parent and pet owner.

muppetgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 18:24:18

He is good with my children but when my ds's friends come to visit he gets upset by their mixed messages as they are scared/nervous of him. They scream, jump about and run away and he thinks they are playing. He does growl when around nervous children. He is around the house 90% of the time as I am a SAHM so isn't shut away that often. When he is shut away he is distressed and shows this by barking, scratching at the door, urinating and chewing whatever is in sight. He has chewed through electric cables, so I am trying to avoid serious injury to himself and avoid the distress he is under. He also urinates in his bed and sits in it whilst he is in the study. We have seen a behaviourist about this and even she is baffled. I cannot change my ds's friends as there seem to be more children afraid of dogs than not, this seems, in my experience the same with parents.

I could get a gate at the front door but this wouldn't help his distress and I would also get compliants about his barking from neighbours. I don't want to turn a wonderful little dog into a nasty dog and want to find a more suitable home before anything should happen. He needs an older family and I accept that. I have not once mentioned a rescue centre and in fact pointed out that he is fine with us until we find him a better home. He will not be going to a rescue centre. I also do not equate children with dogs so I do not accept I am rehoming my child.

Thisismynewname Mon 21-Jul-08 18:27:19

So, these kids that are terrified of dogs, how are they with your 10yo black labrador? Does the lab get locked away too?

muppetgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 18:32:36

Hi whispywhisp
Thank you for your reply. I totally agree with you that he is bored 2 walks a day isn't enough it seems.

muppetgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 18:33:31

Yes both dogs are put into the study. I also put them into the study when the doorbell goes as they totally scare anyone who knocks the door.

muppetgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 18:36:33

If you are under the impression that they are in the study for hours on end every day then I am sorry if you have misunderstood me. This really isn't the case.

whispywhisp Mon 21-Jul-08 19:56:01

At the end of the day you have a dog that is totally unsuitable for the environment you are all living in. You have to find him somewhere to go where he will play a major part of the family set-up. My advice to you would be to move him to the Dogs Trust. They are a fabulous organisation and they will ensure he will be found a suitable new home, based on his history with you.

If he growls near 'nervous' children who are playing at your house then, imo, you should not have the children coming into your home/garden...for not only their safety but that of the dog because if he were to nip or bite the parent of the said child would probably insist he is destroyed. If you are aware of the way he is with children you must either ban all friends coming over (which is what I would do) or rehome him. I personally think its madness allowing kids, especially nervous ones, into your home knowing full well the dog isn't happy, has to be shut away and shows aggression towards the situation.

Like I've said before I have a JRT. They are known to be snappy and bark a lot. I've not long lost my lab who was 13yrs old. The two dogs could not be any different. JRTs are a demanding breed of dog. Labs are so laid back. I think you're finding your JRT a real handful as compared to a labrador.

JRTs need work. They need permanent exercise - whether it be running up and down a garden or regular walks. They do not want to be shut up in a room just because your kids are playing outside. It will do him absolutely no good whatsoever being shut up. If anything it will make him considerably worse because once released he will want to run around, nipping, barking and letting loose. Restricting him in a room, on his own, I'm sorry to say, is extremely cruel to any dog but in particular a young, energetic JRT.

You have to find him somewhere else NOW. Don't expect his new ideal home to come to you. For his own sake as well as those of your kids and others visiting hand him over to the Dogs Trust who will find him somewhere far sooner than you possibly will.

skyisblue Mon 21-Jul-08 20:12:05

I would like to offer some support to muppetgirl. I read the OP this morning before anyone else had commented. My interpretation of the situation was of someone in a difficult situation, trying to find a good solution for both her family and her dog. Coming back to it this evening, I am shocked at some of the reactions. In my profession, I see a lot of dogs and owners whose lifestyles are incompatible and therefore neither party benefits from the relationship. It is an immensely hard decision to rehome a dog and muppetgirl does not deserve to be made to feel more guilty than she probably already does. Maybe only people who want to help, as requested in the OP, might reply?????????

whispywhisp Mon 21-Jul-08 20:17:28

skyisblue....Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Unfortunately not all will agree with how muppetgirl is treating her dog. I personally don't agree with shutting the dog away, which will only make him worse. That's my opinion and I've expressed it and I suggest she stops doing this immediately. I agree its not going to help the OP to find the dog a good home herself but I have suggested she ask the Dogs Trust to help her.

You take the rough with the smooth on MN.

muppetgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 20:56:38

Thanks skyisblue, I appreciate your input on this thread...

I have had JRT's before and have lived in different places with them. In houses, in flats and even on a narrowboat for 3 years! I fully appreciate this isn't the best situation and are trying to rectify it. I still have to reiterate that he isn't shut up for hours on end. I have been thinking about the situation all day (like a good self reflecting mnetter who knows she isn’t always right) since I first posted and have realised a few things.

I never really bonded with him as I did my last Jack -who died after eating poison, I found her in my jumper drawer when I came home from work, she had died. I was heartbroken as, yes, she was my baby. (pre ds's) It took me 3 years to even think about having another dog and then I made the decision to and I did. He was difficult to housetrain -the consultation with the behaviourist helped -then we had a miscarriage then we had ds 2. Stanley (the lovely dog) would come and lick our hands when we were dealing with ds'2, he would try to sit right in front of us when we were talking to ds and changing his nappy in that 'baby' type voice we talk to our children and pets. I didn't take enough time to fuss him as he needs us to. I feel like I have accidentally parented (Tracey Hogg style) my dog into a situation in that I have not given him enough fuss, therefore he craved it more. My fault, not his doing.

Well, tomorrow is another day and all that and due to this thinking I am going to make some time for him and me to play. He likes tennis balls so we'll start with that.

Stanley stays! Thank you for all your comments, you all made me think. I didn’t appreciate the tone of some of the posts but then I do have a very thick skin grin but the sentiment was spot on.

whispywhisp Mon 21-Jul-08 21:03:30

muppet...good for you and I do wish you loads of good luck.xxxxxx smile

muppetgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 21:05:29

...I may be back for more advice though!

Lovesdogsandcats Mon 21-Jul-08 22:02:15

Hey nice one. Sounds like you both lost your way but now, with a fresh slate, you can start all over and make it right!

kid Mon 21-Jul-08 22:12:34

I got my dog (a yorkie) after his previous owner could no longer cope with him and her new born baby.
We took him on and had him for 14 years, he passed away 2 weeks ago sad
In our case, the lady's loss was our gain and we were given a lovely, friendly, cute companion for our children to grow up with.

I hope you can work out whats best for you and the dog. If it isn't working out for both of you, then maybe a new home that has the time and space for him would be better. But I am glad you are going to try and work it out so that he can stay in his home.

bethoo Mon 21-Jul-08 22:20:56

perhaps when you lock him away you could give him something to stimulate him? suggest hiding treats in the room you put him in or parhaps getting one of those toys with the treats inside?
my 8 year old boxer is fine with people but i understand that some may be overwhelmed for his enthusiaam so i put him in the kitchen with a dog gate which is next to my living room (house so small no hallways!)he usually sits and then when he has got over the excitment he is allowed in to join us. he is currently asleep on my leather sofa! he is spoilt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now