Talk

Advanced search

I am so fed up of my sisters dog

(12 Posts)
crazedupmom Mon 14-Jul-08 11:28:19

Hi
I live next door to my sister and I am so fed up of feeling obliged to go and see to her dog which is mostly left on its own in the house all day while everyone is out at work.
My sister has sort of come to expect that I will come round to her dog and let it out to the toilet.
Now this wouldn,t be so much of a prblom to me if it wasn,t for the fact that it is forever pooing and weeing all over the hall floor.
I absolutely despise cleaning it up and I also know I am a mug for doing it.
I just do not have the heart to tell my sister how I feel about it has she has done alot for me in the past.
I don,t have a dog myself and this would certainly put me off having one.
I just don,t know what the way round it is and how I can get the dog out of this habit which it has been doing for years EVEN BEFORE I moved next door 2 years ago.
My sister is well aware that the dog does this.
Is this normal behaviour for a dog, what do people on here do with their dog if they are out all day, should a dog be able to hold on all day.
I just don,t know a way round this what the solution is etc I just know I cannot carry on doing this.

Alambil Mon 14-Jul-08 11:50:12

It's not normal behaviour but dogs shouldn't be left ALL DAY without someone going in at least once - 4 or 5 hours tops.

She could train it to stop, but it takes time and effort - sounds like she wants the fun of the dog but not the responsibility

HumphreyCushioni Mon 14-Jul-08 11:55:27

She needs to get the dog checked at the vets, to rule out any medical reason for the toileting accidents.

If all is well, she could crate train the dog.
He/she won't mess in the crate.

She will need to ensure he/she is let out frequently though.

If you don't want the responsibility of doing this every day, that is fair enough.

Perhaps you could offer to do it a couple of days a week, and ask her to get a friend / neighbour / dog walker to take care of the dog for the rest of the time?

It is a lot to ask of you every day - and the dog is her responsibility, not yours. smile

bethoo Mon 14-Jul-08 11:58:58

just tell her that you are not gong to clean up its mess ,you will let it out but it is not really your responsibiltiy to clean up after it. i had my neighbour let my dog out on the weekend and i told her that if he made a mess she was not to touch it.
poor dog.
get a crate for it.
if you are next door can you not just have her back door open all day while you are home so it can go out whenever it wants to?

Chequers Mon 14-Jul-08 12:03:19

Message withdrawn

supastar Mon 14-Jul-08 15:26:21

This is perfectly normal behaviour for a dog shut in all day on its own. it is probably incredibly stressed. Could you not have the dog round at your place and let it out whenever it needs so that it has company?

If you're not that keen on dogs then just tell her the truth, which is that she is being cruel and that the dog should be rehomed.

girlywhirly Mon 14-Jul-08 16:08:35

There are housetraining pads available at Pets at Home, and I think they do larger ones for adult dogs. Basically a disposable pad which you can leave on the floor for overnight, daytime when no-one's home, sick or very elderly dogs. If the dog could be trained to use this, sister could sort it when she gets in. But I think this dog is suffering anxiety and loneliness, so may well continue excreting everywhere except the pad. Seeing the vet is a good idea in case of illness, and they can often offer advice on behavioural issues.

Tell your sister that you're worried about the dogs emotional wellbeing, and that you can't always be there to look after it. I wonder if it is destructive as well, scratching furniture, walls and doors, chewing things for example, if so, the dog needs help and may need rehoming.

Chequers Mon 14-Jul-08 16:11:47

Message withdrawn

hercules1 Wed 16-Jul-08 19:26:35

There was an identical thread to this a few months ago. I suggest you go and read your other thread on that as a lot of people spent a lot of time then giving you advice.

hercules1 Wed 16-Jul-08 19:28:30

here

Lovesdogsandcats Thu 17-Jul-08 14:17:56

Your bloody sister is a cruel bitch. How awful for the dog. It is doing it in the hall because it is lonely, bored, stressed and highly likely has separation anxiety.

Why the FUCK has she got a dog. Instead odf moaning about what the poor dog is doing, what about helping her re-home it into a CARING family who will love it and look after it correctly.

People like your sister fuck me right off and she should be fucking ashamed of her sorry self.

lazymumofteenagesons Thu 17-Jul-08 22:29:12

I can't believe people are giving you advice on how to train the dog. Your sister needs the training. She shouldn't have a dog. What she is doing is cruel. Dogs are social creatures who need company, stimulation and exercise.

This dog needs re-homing with someone who is at home most of the day and can take him out. Leaving the back door open is not an answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now