Talk

Advanced search

Question for anyone who has a puppy ...

(9 Posts)
2sugars Sun 13-Jul-08 11:59:57

.... how do you get over the 'excited' wee? It wouldn't bother me so much, cos I've mastered the art of coming downstairs in the morning, letting her out of her crate, and taking her out to the back door.

But, she does it when dds come downstairs, when anyone says 'Helloooooo!', anywhere, in fact, where we show her a bit of love and attention. And we do that a lot. She has to be actually sitting on your lap and used to you being around for her not to wee.

Mutt Sun 13-Jul-08 14:26:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2sugars Tue 15-Jul-08 07:10:03

Thanks for that, Mutt.

LOL at 'large men'! All 'large men' shall be banished from our househould forthwith! grin

Threadwworm Tue 15-Jul-08 07:23:29

Our dog still sometimes does the submissive wee when 'large men' come round, or when he is greeting someone he hasn't seen for a long time. It definitely helps to just ignore him or give a very low key greeting until he has clamed down.

He seems to live in an imaginary world of strict and intimitating hierarchy. Everyone has to be either appeased or dominated.

tink123 Tue 15-Jul-08 10:40:51

it is getting on my nerves with our 16 week springer. I can even put up with him wetting in one spot on our carpets but hate the excitment weeing which normally stretches right thro the house.

HollyandNoah Tue 15-Jul-08 11:40:40

hey

I think 16 weeks is when pups begine to be able to control their bladder, before that the muscles arnt strong enough. So you might see improvements in the next few weeks when he starts to control. Anyway thats only what i heard, i might be wrong but i found this online -

*Realize that coming home and immediately greeting your puppy in a high-pitched tone elicits hyper activity.

*When you first come in, make no high-pitched greetings, simply take the puppy out to go potty.

*After the puppy potties outside, then you can be enthusiastic in your greeting, give a treat or otherwise reinforce their potty training.

*When people come over to visit, most often they want to lean down and greet the puppy as mentioned above. The puppy will get excited and a little pee will escape. To prevent this, explain to your guests what you are trying to accomplish and have them do the following:
Have the guest enter calmly and quietly.
Hand him or her a bit of biscuit or treat without making a big deal of it (a little cookie jar by the front door works also).
Have the guest sit down in chair, couch etc... and wait for the puppy to relax and calm down.

*Only when the puppy is calm and relaxed may your guests pay any attention to them and give them the treat. If the puppy starts getting wound up, back off until he or she is calm again.

*This method will also help properly socialize and teach your puppy to not bark at the doorbell since they know they will only get a treat if they are quiet and calm.

Use a treat that they love and only use it for training. Never give your dog a beloved treat "just because".

anyway hope it helps a bit x

cheesesarnie Tue 15-Jul-08 11:41:51

HollyandNoah-did you get the dogs?

sorry to hijack!

HollyandNoah Tue 15-Jul-08 13:47:03

hey!

Noooo! it turned out they were scammers. There are loads of them going about so im told. Lots of people had paid money to get the dogs delivered to them, but luckily i had said id pick up because it wasnt far from me. But i got an email saying they were relocating to dublin because of a death in the family, and i could pay for a pet courier. So sad! So im on the hunt, I might even post about the scammers.

cheesesarnie Tue 15-Jul-08 21:21:48

sad oh dear!good job you didnt part with any cash!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now