Talk

Advanced search

Why would my kitten be passing blood in motions

(6 Posts)
lostittoday Sat 12-Jul-08 22:58:49

Have noticed a couple of times that my kitten has passed a small amount of blood in its motions.
Sorry to be gross but I have noticed this when its stools have been sloppy, but not when they are more formed.

He is fine in himself very playful, happy, feeding well.
He is about 13 weeks old now and I have only ever fed him on kitten food and he doesn,t get anything else but this.
Any ideas
Thanks.

thingamajig Sat 12-Jul-08 23:00:41

Don't really know but poor kitty sad. Perhaps try worming him or ring the vet?

lostittoday Sat 12-Jul-08 23:05:23

He has been wormed its a bit of a mystery.

emiliadaniel Sun 13-Jul-08 13:05:32

It sounds like a mild case of colitis (inflammation of the lining of the large intestine). It is usually either diet or stress related (often a combination of the two). It suggests the diet is a little too rich so I would suggest a few days on something very bland eg chicken or white fish and then gradually introduce soome good quality kitten dry food, based on chicken eg Hills, James Wellbeloved. Lots of kittens can't cope with wet food such as Whiskas. Hope that helps.

heronsfly Sun 13-Jul-08 13:19:12

Both our kittens had small amounts of blood at times,our vet agreed that it was diet and stress, we changed to whiskas kitten food and they were fine,now two very spoilt,fat cats,only thing was kitten food is very rich and tended to give them the runs so soon switched to whiskas adult.grin

Ecmo Sun 13-Jul-08 13:26:51

They do this to panic you and get you to spend loads of money at the vet and then try to get tablets down them which is really impossible with cats.
They are probably putting tomato ketchup in it themselves, naughty kittens. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now