Talk

Advanced search

Hubby wants a kitten, I don't think its the best time... what do you think?

(9 Posts)
kittyvonditty Fri 11-Jul-08 17:35:02

I have 2 children and just found out I am pregnant again.

He has wanted a cat forever! Next doors cat is due kittens in the next few weeks and he wants one.

He works from home so will be able to do the litter trays and feeding himself but I'm not convinced.

Its alot of work and not sure how well the youngest (2) would behave with a cat, maybe too rough etc ...

What do you think?

wigparty Fri 11-Jul-08 19:33:56

Hi kitty,
I've never owned a kitten/cat myself so may not be qualified to answer, but I reckon if your DH really wants it, works from home, and has promised to be the primary carer(!) then perhaps it's okay?
I'm sure your youngest will be gentle with it if you explain how small(and cuddly, soft, cute, adorable) a kitten is?
With next door's cat being due in a few weeks, could it be fate? grin

wigparty Fri 11-Jul-08 19:34:43

p.s. you should draw up a contract between yourself and DH about who is to feed, change kitty litter, clean up pee and poo of said kitten.

bethoo Fri 11-Jul-08 19:46:09

go on, i think it is sweet how a grown man wants a kitten smile
as long as he changes the litter tray you are fine and it is good for th kids. i have a 16 month old and two cats as well as a dog and my boy adores them all. i have to tell him to be gentle as he does not realise they are as hardy as the dog!
what have you to lose?
though must supervise the children with the kitten for scratches and rough kiddies. kittens are quite hyper once they settle in.

bubblagirl Fri 11-Jul-08 19:47:54

my dp wantd a cat and i would say now for you to set ground rules to clean litter tray and feed as my dp has done it eerrrmm maybe onve in nearly four years lol

so if he really wants it then his cat you dont mind feeding but no to litter tray and up to him to arrange injections and whatever else

bubblagirl Fri 11-Jul-08 19:49:00

my ds is fine with cat they tend to hide themselves away if the world gets too much and you woul donly have to say no nice ds has never intentionally tried to be rough at all his 3 and had cat since he was born

googgly Fri 11-Jul-08 19:50:44

Cats aren't much work really - just house training the kitten, then throwing away the dead creatures they bring into the house from time to time. My only concern would be having a cat when you have a baby as I've heard stories about the cat jumping in the cot and having jealous fits.

Evenstar Sun 13-Jul-08 23:36:57

We always had at least one cat with our babies, no problems to speak of and we had a cot net, they used to be available from the NCT rather like a tennis net sized mesh which the cat will not jump on, unlike a fine mesh. If you can trust him to keep his word about cleaning up let him have the kitten, it will give him so much pleasure and your dc's will love it too.

PinkTulips Sun 13-Jul-08 23:48:25

let the man have a kitten grin

they house train very quickly and are well able to scratch a child who's annoying them... kids learn fairly fast not to mess with them.

ds isn't even 2 yet and dd is 3 and we've had our cat since before she was born. they've had a few run in's but the kids are very good with him and vice versa.

make sure the kitten has a safe place to go that the kids can't get to and it'll be fine, they're very good at removing themselves from a situation if they're unhappy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now