Talk

Advanced search

Dog just ate a whole pigeon

(12 Posts)
hertsnessex Thu 10-Jul-08 14:03:09

My 5month old bullmastiff just brought a dead pigeon into the house - after getting him out with it he then ate it - feathers and everything.

he didnt kill it, it was dead already, but urghhhhhhhhh.

anyone else dog done this?

he had just had 1lb of raw steak and some dry food for lunch. he was not hungry - guessing nature took over and he wanted something organic.

hoping this isnt a regular thing.

mummyloveslucy Thu 10-Jul-08 16:38:14

I've heard that raw steak makes dogs aggressive. I'd look in to that.
Our dog is extreamly soft, he's a little westie and he killed a pigion in our garden. We couldn't believe it. It was soo out of charactor. He didn't eat it though.
He won't eat anything that isn't cooked.hmm

mummyloveslucy Thu 10-Jul-08 16:52:19

That must have been disgusting to watch. Dogs do the most foul things don't they, my doy had a habbit of trying to roll in other dogs pooh. He even tried to eat it once.shock

OrmIrian Thu 10-Jul-08 16:54:23

Plenty of roughage there then! grin

I wouldn't worry too much. It's probably near to a natural doggy diet than any amount of commercial dog food.

hertsnessex Thu 10-Jul-08 20:06:34

he is mostly raw fed with some dry food mixed in - hates cooked meat and will only eat raw. the theory on raw meat making a dog aggresive has been dismissed by dog psychologists and breeders.

he didnt get raw for dinner, got his normal james well belvoed dry food with a little bit of tuna and some carrots!!

he seems fine - probably loved it, although it was totally disgusting to wach. i dont think he killed it though - just ate it shock

claricebeansmum Thu 10-Jul-08 20:10:06

BIL lab ate a whole deer head

hertsnessex Thu 10-Jul-08 21:59:57

a WHOLE deers head - urgh!!! (impressive though!)

purpleduck Thu 10-Jul-08 22:24:02

Dogs are gross!

(i have 2)

My sister's dogs (they live in Canada in the country) often come home happily dragging a COW LEG that they stole found in the neighboring farmers field.

Not sure why they have Cow parts lying around....

MrsTweedy Thu 10-Jul-08 22:31:43

On a 3 hour walk in Wensleydale our choccie lab managed to find and scoff 4 dead rabbits and a dead mole, one of which actually had maggots wriggling in it. Was not very keen on wresting them off him, but we gave him a huge worming anf he was none the worse for it. He now regards them as a treat and positively looks for them when we're on a walk.

Am v impressed with the cows leg!

MrsTweedy Thu 10-Jul-08 22:33:16

Maybe aliens have been eating the cows? (Have ahd wine)

Ecmo Thu 10-Jul-08 22:34:20

My dog would eat a whole pigeon if he got hold of one.
He tried to eat a dead seagull once but I needed to get home so I had to walk down a road with my dog, looking as pleased as punch carrying a muddy, mangled, wings dangling dead seagull.

WendyWeber Thu 10-Jul-08 22:37:30

Oh lord, I once encountered a blind bloke locally & his guide dog had a pigeon wing hanging out of its mouth - I said erm, excuse me, your dog seems to be eating a pigeon grin

No idea if it had found the wing on the ground or what but they're not supposed to run after things when in harness, are they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now