Talk

Advanced search

any vets on mumsnet? have you ever come across a condition called.....

(11 Posts)
Ecmo Wed 09-Jul-08 21:26:08

myasthenia gravis

my dog has been diagnosed with it and our vet has never had a dog with it before. Would be interested to know if anyone else has come across it.

Ecmo Wed 09-Jul-08 21:33:39

maybe I should try Petsnet

<sigh>

bethoo Wed 09-Jul-08 21:34:33

have you looked on the internet for it?

emiliadaniel Wed 09-Jul-08 21:36:32

Hi, I am a vet. I have come across a case of myasthenia gravis once. It is a very unusual condition. What symptoms does your dog have? How has it been diagnosed? What has your vet advised?

bethoo Wed 09-Jul-08 21:44:06

just had a look on web and it is a neurological disorder. though it is serious if discovered early your dog can make a full recovery from medication and monitoring.

Ecmo Wed 09-Jul-08 21:44:53

My dog started with Megaesophagus at the beginning of May which we were just getting to grips with (we've made him a chair so he can eat sitting up).

Last week he lost the use of his back legs after a few seconds of exercise. I had already read about MG online so I suspected that was what it was. He was given a test for it on Tuesday and reacted so positively that he's started treatment immediately.

The pills for it are MEGA expensive. Today after only 2 doses he is almost back to his normal self apart from a quite bit of regurgitation. I was wondering if this will improve too. Its lovely to have him walking about again but I would be interested to know how much if any of the symptoms of the ME may go away.

ButterflyMcQueen Wed 09-Jul-08 21:46:39

asked dp about this and he said 'course i have'

ButterflyMcQueen Wed 09-Jul-08 21:48:14

if dog is on mestinon all symptoms shoud resolve

Ecmo Wed 09-Jul-08 21:51:35

thanks butterfly that is what he is on. It is SO expensive I just hope we can continue to afford it.

oops Thu 10-Jul-08 17:17:48

Message withdrawn

muffinmum Fri 11-Jul-08 00:56:05

i have only seen one and was my wedding photographers doggy,i referred onto liverpool uni, actually with good outcome but was longhaul.goodluck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now