Talk

Advanced search

I'm worried about a lump on my dogs testicles (beautiful girls???)

(8 Posts)
lucyellensmum Sat 19-Apr-08 18:46:49

My 1 yo JRT has had lumps on his testicles for a while, they are sort of where they should be to be the epididimus?? My physiology is rusty, but i mean the bit that joins the testes to the vas deferens, i might be confused about this, but anyway, i know they should have a bit there and thought that was what it was - i have been a bit concerned for a while that they seemed big but its bilateral so figured they are normal, i seem to remember my bigger dogs having these (and DP does (cos i had a crafty feel blush but not as big) Bit now i have found a scab on one of these and im worried sick, its the weekend arrrggghhh. I used to work in a vets and my friend is a vet but i can't find my bloody phone charger and her number is on my phone.

I lost a dog to cancer last year (hence us now having the JRT) I couldnt bear it to lose another one - i wasn't intending on having him castrated but i think he will be there legs akimbo on Monday morning!!

Beautiful girls, if you get this, should i be worried??

guineamango Sat 19-Apr-08 20:05:51

I would get him checked by a vet as soon as you can just for peace of mind. But in the mean time I wouldn't worry too much, if the "lumps" are the same on both testes. Some dogs get scabs from either licking too much or rubbing on the floor!! Always a good idea to castrate, prevents testicular tumours and prostate cancers in later life.

lucyellensmum Sat 19-Apr-08 20:24:05

just spoken to my friend and she said this is normal - phew (i sort of knew it was but i was just a bit worried). I probably will get him castrated, leave it a few more months as i want him to fill out a bit first.

beautifulgirls Sun 20-Apr-08 21:20:54

Sorry have only just seen this. Wouldn't be panicking, but if there is a scab on there worth getting it looked as as they sometimes get some nasty scrotal skin infections that are better caught early for treatment. I suspect the lumpiness you are feeling is as you think normal anatomy of the epididymis.

CountryGirl2007 Sun 20-Apr-08 22:16:49

You should take him to the vet anyway to get him checked out and get him neutered ASAP. May I ask why you don't get your dogs neutered?

lucyellensmum Mon 21-Apr-08 17:05:23

thanks BG - i spoke to a vet friend of mine who said the same thing, and has persuaded me (well almost) to have him castrated.

I wasn't planning on having him "done" as didnt view it as necessary and veterinary opinion on this seems to change with the weather - but will prophylatically.

CountryGirl2007 Thu 24-Apr-08 15:07:59

It's a simple fact that neutering is better for the dog. It's a cheap, simple & extremely low risk operation and the benefits are great.

Moore1 Thu 20-Dec-18 14:17:37

My 7 month old French bulldog has a reddish purpley lump on one of his testicles any idea what this could be

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »