Human cream on a dog??

(28 Posts)
MrsTucky Mon 04-Feb-08 19:05:09

Would any of you use a human cream like Fucibet on your dog?
Vet prescribed Fuciderm for him, but thinking I had some in the house already, I never bought it. Now I get home and see that it's my husband's Fucibet I was thinking of.
So would any of you give this Fucibet to your dog.

I've also searched the net and found this Fucidern animal cream costs £5.29 from online vets, (our vets charge £12)but they say they need a prescription from our vet in order to supply it. Would my vet hand over a prescription? I didn't think they would.

If any one has any experience of this, I'd be interestred to know, otherwise I'll have to go back to vets tomorrow.
Thanks in advance for your help or any advise you can offer

Troutpout Mon 04-Feb-08 19:13:40

Dunno..is it basically the same stuff?
My mum gives her dog human painkillers for it's dodgy leg ..and she told her vet too (i was shock!) but he said it was ok
hmm

have you looked up the ingredients for both?

Think i'd probably be a bit to worried to do it tbh

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Mon 04-Feb-08 19:26:01

if it is betamethasone and fucidin it will be fine

hippipotami Mon 04-Feb-08 19:30:30

I have used human Fucidin on my dog's skin. I have also used Calpol (a 3 month old's dose)and Savlon on my cat.

Both are fine, alive and well many years later smile

And yes, the cream cleared up the dog's skin rash, and the Calpol helped the cat's sore paw after she cut it on some glass. The cut paw healed nicely with the savlon.

My MIL is a nurse, and whilst I know that does not make her a vet, she insists most medicine is the same regardless of whether it is marketed at humans or animals. Just carefully work out the dosage.
She has had dogs all her life, has treated all of them with human meds as and when required, and all of them have lived to a ripe old age.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 04-Feb-08 19:34:25

You want to be sure the medicine is something they do give to pets - some things that are safe for humans (e.g. chocolate) are no good for pets.

I'd probably be pretty relaxed about dosages with a topical cream, though, tbh, assuming (again) it was the same active ingredients.

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Mon 04-Feb-08 19:34:46

just for the record 500mg paracetamol will kill a cat in 9 out of ten cases

LittleB Mon 04-Feb-08 20:43:28

I used to have a collie, when she was first diagnosed with arthritus the vet suggested I look for human versions of Chondroitin and Glucosamine supplement to give her as the animal ones were very expensive, i found one in Boots and discussed the dosage with my vet who said it was fine, she had it for many years. I would check with your vet. I also think you can get them to give you a prescription but they might charge for it.

hippipotami Mon 04-Feb-08 21:39:52

I know, post should have said 'less than half of' a 3month's dose... blush
Actually it is probably less than half of that, in vet provided medicine dropper, which is teeny ...

Hippi backpedals furiously and looks at the sleeping miracle that is her still-alive cat....

PaulaYatesbiggestFan Mon 04-Feb-08 21:43:09

lol i am told your cat is lucky -aspirin is better in emergency i am told

ibuprofen is toxic in dogs

hippipotami Mon 04-Feb-08 21:45:00

Will bear that in mind, thank you...

And will chat to MIL too...

bethoo Mon 04-Feb-08 21:45:29

i am using fucithalmic on my dog which is a human treatment for conjunctivitus. seems to work.

PaulaYatesbiggestFan Mon 04-Feb-08 21:45:57

yes samee stuff

beautifulgirls Mon 04-Feb-08 22:33:27

For the record Paracetamol and cats do NOT go well together. Even tiny amounts can cause severe liver damage, not always evident immediately either.
Ibuprofen is not good for dogs or cats either.
Aspirin is used under certain circumstances in cats but should only be used under careful veterinary supervision as renal problems are always a concern.
Please think twice before assuming medications that are suitable for us or children are suitable for all species. Always contact your vet for advice.

Your vet is obliged to write you a prescription for any medications they prescribe if you ask for it, but the vet is is allowed to charge you for their time taken to decide upon the medications suitability etc - a careful use of words as they are not allowed to charge you for the prescription as such.

binkleandflip Mon 04-Feb-08 22:37:36

I always use sudocrem on my dog as she sometimes gets sore patches it clears her up a treat.

WriggleJiggle Mon 04-Feb-08 22:41:15

I always have savlon at home for if the dog gets a cut or similar. Was recommended it by the vet, so it is obviously ok.

PaulaYatesbiggestFan Mon 04-Feb-08 22:43:37

it is just risky to make assumptions about what is ok

savlon may be innocuous but ibuleve gel for instance - highly dangerous to a dog

ladette Mon 04-Feb-08 22:45:33

Our hamster's tail was looking a bit red yesterday, considered using sudocreme then thought I'd never forgive myself if sudocreme was poisonous to a hamster. Don't suppose anyone knows?

PaulaYatesbiggestFan Mon 04-Feb-08 22:51:34

sudocrem not harmful but best not to use - need to know why tail red really ...dont worry its fine

MrsTucky Tue 05-Feb-08 13:47:44

Thanks very much to you all for your input.
You've given me a few things to think about.

With regards to the prescription......is it ok in future to just ask the vet, whilst we're there having a consultation, if we can take the prescription away and fill it ourselves from an online vet? Our vet is notorious for over prescribing, and expensive.
Thanks again for all your help.

beautifulgirls Tue 05-Feb-08 16:51:26

Yes - your vet can not refuse to write you a prescription for something if you ask, assuming that it is a drug the vet agrees your pet needs.

Just another thought to all those who have considered using human medicines in their pets....would you choose to try a pets medicine yourself??? Please please please - I do not need to spend more time at work dealing with poisoned pets so please don't do it.

PaulaYatesbiggestFan Tue 05-Feb-08 17:56:55

beautiful ..dp was pleased with your posting as he moans buckets about dentists/docs getting paid for scripts and him not

jellycat Tue 05-Feb-08 18:06:22

Fucibet and Fuciderm are made by the same pharmaceutical co. The active ingredients are the same, but not the same strength though (Fucibet is stronger). The inactive ingredients are probably different but these are unlikely to affect your dog.

MrsTucky Tue 05-Feb-08 19:27:28

Thanks people, you're a very helpful bunch.
I've made a mistake though.....it's not Fucibet my husband actually had, but FUCIDIN. Yes, I admit I'm hopeless..but all these Fuci... products are confusing me. I'm sure we did have Fucibet, but dh cleared out the medicine cupboard a little while.
That'll teach me to never just presume anything, that I should go and double check to make sure.
SO anyway, Fucidin, is it the same as FUciderm, or Fucibet? If your exasperated by my daftness, I understand. My husband gets like that too, and I just feel embarrassed now for wasting your time.
(PS...my son calls me a dumbe blonde..feel free to do the same grin )

beautifulgirls Tue 05-Feb-08 19:40:57

It is neither of those - it does not have the steroid in it that the other two have. If your vet wanted fuciderm to be used you should ring them and get some sorted out.

MrsTucky Wed 06-Feb-08 09:43:09

It's done. Just rang the vet and the receptionist was as snotty as I expected, but she's sorting the prescription out for me to collect this evening.
Thanks very much for all your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now