Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know anything about keeping short haired dogs outside in winter?

(29 Posts)
winestein Sat 29-Sep-07 21:10:10

Is there any "official" guidance on this? Any snippets of info would be helpful.

cece Sat 29-Sep-07 21:16:39

do you mean to sleep out in a kennel?

winestein Sat 29-Sep-07 21:21:22

yes, that's the one!

moljam Sat 29-Sep-07 21:23:22

maybe phone rspca and ask for advice?

winestein Sat 29-Sep-07 21:24:09

ahh - they just deal with neglect and cruelty don't they?

peggotty Sat 29-Sep-07 21:25:09

No they can give you general advice as well. Is this a dog which is used to living outside?

moljam Sat 29-Sep-07 21:25:33

no i think they give advice too.actually -your vet!sorry am slow tonight!your vet can probably give you advice!

moljam Sat 29-Sep-07 21:26:23

can i ask why you want it outside?just curious as dont know anyone whos dog sleeps outside.

winestein Sat 29-Sep-07 21:38:17

Ok.. I admit - I am being pretty disingenuous here. I was trying to bait people into finding me anti-outside stuff.

The actual story is, I know of some people who happened across a stray Staffordshire Bull Terrier and took it in. It wasn't house trained and that just needed some work. Too much work, it turns out. They just keep her outside all day and night, hardly any contact.

It's very cold tonight and it breaks my heart. I have a Staffy, and before getting him I researched everything I could find about the breed. Almost as a pre-requisite, they need loads of human contact. They quite often don't like other dogs but they love people and crave their attention. Secondly, if it's a bit nippy outside, they have a quick wee and run back inside to sit in front of the stove.

This will be the first winter she will be with them. I am sure short haired dogs feel the cold the same we do.

I have had the RSPCA out to them before. She was pregnant when they found her and they kept her outside with her puppies and no shelter. At least now she has a kennel I suppose, but I know from the sound of her claws on wood she has no blanket. Then, there are the weekends away...

I can't bear it. I hate people who are mean to dogs.

I'm pretty sure the RSPCA's hands are tied over this one though.

Does anyone think they know anything that might help?

purpleduck Sat 29-Sep-07 21:38:19

Do you have alot of outside room? My sister in canada has 2 dogs and they live outside. In Canada. It gets VERY cold. They have access to the garage though, and they are labrador type dogs. They are fine. But short haired dogs...hmm. I think it would depend on the facilities (ie somewhere to get out of the rain, with maybe a blanket etc, and not for too long..)
hmm

purpleduck Sat 29-Sep-07 21:39:50

x post, sorry
They sound really mean. Why have a dog if its out all the time. I agree, I would be fuming too angry

winestein Sat 29-Sep-07 21:41:26

Exactly PD. I just want to bring her home with me and get her settled on the sheepskin in front of the stove.

I'm so angry and so so sad.

Ellbell Sat 29-Sep-07 21:47:07

We-e-ell (at risk of being slated for this)... I did keep my short-haired crossbreed (thin, fine coat, sort of collie-like) outside for a while. I was living in a rented room in a farmhouse. All the farm dogs were kept outdoors and the deal was that mine had to live outside too. We absolutely FILLED his kennel with straw (as in... right up to the roof!) and he used to burrow into it and get really cosy and comfortable. The kennels were in a sheltered spot and they had an outside run too for those night-time wee outings. I must admit I wasn't happy about it at first, but I went along with it because we were only staying in the house as a short-term thing and it was owned by friends of friends who had offered us the room to get us out of a bit of a difficult situation. My dog was the biggest wuss going, but actually he LOVED his kennel... he would stand by the back door at about 10 p.m. 'asking' to go out to it. (He was allowed inside while we were there - in fact, he spent most of his time trying to climb into the warming oven of the aga! - he was just outside at night.)

So, I suppose if the kennel is set up properly (sheltered, enough bedding, etc.), it can work. But it's not ideal (I wouldn't have done it long-term and certainly wouldn't choose to do it) and I think that the situation you describe is very different. Whether it actually counts as 'cruelty' is another matter. A friend of mine used to work for the RSPCA and it has to be pretty bad for them to get 'officially' involved, I think. However, they might be able to pop round and say that they are worried or something, which might be enough to shame the people into treating their dog a bit better.

peggotty Sat 29-Sep-07 21:50:01

Keep phoning the rspca! If she is outside and being neglected over weekends then surely they can do something? Did they have her neutered after she had the puppies? Maybe they think they are doing the dog a favour by taking her off the streets but she could obviously have a much better home. What possesses people to 'rescue' a dog and then leave treat it like that. I agree about staffy's being very people-orientated which makes it all the worse.

startouchedtrinity Sat 29-Sep-07 21:50:25

The RSPCA can inspect the situation and give advice. I think the law is changing so neglect of this kind will also becom ean offence but am not sure when, or even if the law has been passed yet.

Your other option is to offer to buy the dog.

winestein Sat 29-Sep-07 22:00:26

Pegotty - just been on the phone to the RSPCA. A law has just been passed in the last couple of months (Animal Welfare Act) and the RSPCA can act on the situation I described so someone will visit. They haven't got her neutered no. Made worse by the fact that they kept one of her puppies - a male.

Ellbell - I would be fine with that! You cared! and your dog was happy. I see very unhappy dog.

Trinity - I would buy both dogs, but I don't know how they would get on with my dog or more importantly, my toddler DS.

cece Sat 29-Sep-07 22:04:21

Our dog used to sleep in a kennel outside, although it was postioned in an outhouse so not exactly outside. She lived like that her whole life - 12 years. Was warm as toast every morning when we let her out.

winestein Sat 29-Sep-07 22:05:00

Out of curiosity, what breed Cece?

peggotty Sat 29-Sep-07 22:05:15

Oh that's brilliant,I really hope the rspca can do something for the poor dog. I'm really surprised she's not pregnant again if they've not neutered her. What a miserable life she must lead. Well done for doing something!

Nightynight Sat 29-Sep-07 22:07:47

Both our neighbours at our last address in the UK kept their dogs outside in kennels all the time.

winestein Sat 29-Sep-07 22:09:47

Well, the male pup is still weeing in the puppy-position so I don't think he is quite up to shenanigans as yet. But give it time. The "owners" probably think
a) It's a mum and son thing - it would never happen.
b) Don't think. Ever.

winestein Sat 29-Sep-07 22:11:31

It depends on the breed though Nightynight. Short-haireds don't do cold. Collies and Huskies are a different story.

Ellbell Sat 29-Sep-07 22:15:56

Really glad the RSPCA can do something. Well done for phoning.

Nightynight Sat 29-Sep-07 22:30:00

short-haired.
I think it is ok if the kennel is well insulated.
wouldnt keep a dog outside here though (just north of the alps!)

cece Sat 29-Sep-07 22:33:46

A crossbreed. border collie with terrier, so had short hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now