Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Want rid of the cat but even Cats Protection won't take him!!!

(24 Posts)
Washersaurus Wed 26-Sep-07 12:31:31

Sounds harsh I know but we have had our cat for 8 years and seriously can't cope with him anymore (physically or financially).

He was discovered to be completely blind 2 wks after we got him (due to glaucoma and catarracts), he has a special diet food to help with his weight and cystitis (he is an indoor cat and is ENORMOUS), and he is constantly on tablets to treat/prevent the recurring cystitus.

I have a 2 year old and an 8wk old baby, I just can't cope any more with the cat pissing and puking all over the place as well. AND obviously it is not fair on the cat as he is getting stressed out as the house isn't big enough for him to find somewhere to settle.

He cost us £45 at the vets yesterday just for a repeat prescription that will only last a few weeks.

We were considering the options for his future before he got ill again anyway, but on speaking to the Cats Protection League, DH was told they wouldn't take him as it would be impossible for them to rehome him. So what the hell am I supposed to do sad???

Peachy Wed 26-Sep-07 12:34:32

Are there any rescue centres near you- there's one near home (Heavens gate) that takes animals with a guarantee they don't put them down (when ill policy varies), they often refuse on the phone but if you take them there they just accept unless they are full.

I would have a chat with the vets though, we take in cats who are disabled in some way but the expense of your cat would be beyond us- I suspect he may have come to the end of his lifespan in vet terms? Considering teh distress it would cause him to be moved at 8 years old.

jellyhead Wed 26-Sep-07 12:35:16

If they weren't prepared to take him didn't they offer you any advice what to do ?
What about the RSPCA or PDSA

ConnorTraceptive Wed 26-Sep-07 12:35:22

What about the rspca? In all likelyhood he would be difficult if not imposible to rehome.

You may just have to make a very difficult choice here sad

DumbledoresGirl Wed 26-Sep-07 12:36:38

Poor cat sad

kittywits Wed 26-Sep-07 12:36:54

Have him put down?

snowleopard Wed 26-Sep-07 12:37:34

We got our cat from a rescue centre where they do keep them if they can't rehome them. I would phone around a few more, or ask your vet about finding someone to take him. There are devoted individuals who will take in even very unwell cats.

Washersaurus Wed 26-Sep-07 12:40:54

Thanks for not judging me - I really do love my cats but he is just too much for us to cope with now. I am concerned that he isn't all that happy and the recurring cystitis is an indication of that. It breaks my heart to make a decision like this (it has been a long time coming) we have really loved him over the years, even though he has destroyed many items of furniture.

I left a message for the vet to call me back earlier this morning so am waiting to speak to him to see if he can give me any advice. (I think our cat alone has financed his recent move to new premises (with a swimming pool for dogs) so the least he could do is return my call grin).

kittywits Wed 26-Sep-07 13:09:23

you've given him a home when few would have and he sounds like to has had care second to none!
I certainly wouldn't feel bad.

Hope the vet gives you sound advice smile

Yorkshirepudding Wed 26-Sep-07 13:12:43

Message withdrawn

Pixel Wed 26-Sep-07 15:54:49

We had a cat just like this. She wasn't blind but she had health problems from kittenhood, various allergies, weight problems and recurring cystitis. Like you we spent a fortune on vet bills, put up with her mess and adored her! She was a beautiful cat with the gentlest nature. However, when she got to 7 years old we knew that it had all become too much for her as well as us and we made the decision to have her put down (the only time I've ever seen dh cry sad). It was difficult but we've no regrets, it was the right decision. The vet who'd cared for her all her life made us feel better by pointing out that most people wouldn't have kept her for as long as we had. I'm sure that's the case with your cat, you've done your best to give him a good life and you've nothing to feel guilty about. I would think it more cruel to expect him to settle in a new home tbh.

Washersaurus Wed 26-Sep-07 16:26:15

Thank you everyone, especially pixel, for your posts. The vet has recommended we consider putting him to sleep given his medical history and that he can also be quite vicious when stressed, so would be unfair all round to try to rehome him.

I am in tears sad

snowleopard Wed 26-Sep-07 16:37:33

You poor thing washer... I would be in tears too (we also have a difficult cat but I love her!) I And you have a toddler and a newborn! - you must be exhausted and emotional anyway. Look after yourself and let DH take some of the practical strain. If it is professional advice, you are doing the right thing.

ConnorTraceptive Wed 26-Sep-07 16:49:26

I think in all honesty it would be the right move. I think the stress of rehoming would just be too much.

Don't be too hard on yourself given his age and health many would do the same. I know I would.

Peachy Wed 26-Sep-07 18:14:42

I agree that si reasonable, tbh I've not yet heard of a cat we couldn't manage but your would seem a lot to take on, with no hope of improvement- and resettling him would imo (and quite experienced opinion LOL- when my sisters practive (vet urse) has a cat nobody else will take theyc all muggins) be too much for him, I don't think he'd fare well.

A case where it would be a true kindness, I think.

pampam Wed 26-Sep-07 18:36:43

Washersaurus, you've done far more than most would do for this cat. Rehoming is particularly stressful for cats even when in good health (as i'm sure you're aware). I've looked after a few rescue cats in my time, one with a terrible chronic bowel problem that was horrendous for the cat and us to deal with.
I think you would be doing the right thing to have the cat destroyed as horrible as it may seem. I feel really sad for you as i know how awful it is to lose a cat but you've really done everything you can.

DUSTIN Thu 27-Sep-07 14:17:51

I agree with pampam. You have given your cat 8 years which he probably wouldn't of had if someone else had taken him on. I work for an animal charity and though we do rehome cats with problems it is very hard to find homes for these cats. Generally people wanting to rehome an animal want one without problems. It is a very hard decision to make. I hope you find the strength to make the decision that is right for you and your family and of course your cat. Take care.

pirategirl Thu 27-Sep-07 14:25:05

it just goes to show how much you have cared for him.

my heart goes out to you. He's having a pretty miserable life now, and it will prob get worse for him, and it has for you.

I had to re home a cat two yrs ago, he was a nightmare, and it upset me alot, but it had to be done, as i was on my own with dd 3 at the time, and cat was mad as a mad thing.

take care
xx

goingfor3 Thu 27-Sep-07 14:35:32

Its sounds as if putting him down would be the best thing for all, it's not something I would usually say but your cat sounds so ill and has no hope of getting better so it would be better for him to rest in peace.

nooka Thu 27-Sep-07 21:56:08

If you can't find a rescue place to take him (and it is quite a lot to ask, I guess, although some resuce places do accept cats with special needs - for example www.foalfarm.org.uk/cats/Special%20needs.htm) then I'm not sure that you have much choice. You clearly have looked after your cat very well. There is only one thing I note on this thread though, 8 is not at all old for a cat, as they can live into their twenties. We have a sixteen year old, that we adopted when he was eleven, so I don't think your cat's age is the issue, more the combination of the disability coupled with the chronic health problems.

Washersaurus Thu 27-Sep-07 22:05:10

I realise 8 is young for a cat - our family cat lived until she was 20!

I am sure this cat would live just as long, that is my problem really - I'm not sure if it is fair on him to leave him to live like this for another 10 years or so(and I cannot imagine coping with him physically or financially for this long)

DH is now talking about someone he thinks may be able to rehome the cat, but since talking to the vet I'm not sure if this would be in his best interests.

hercules1 Fri 28-Sep-07 19:27:17

How difficult for you. I agree with others. Sounds kinder to have him put to sleep and out of his misery.

PurlyQueen Fri 28-Sep-07 19:56:09

Your poor thing sad.
It's a horibble dilemma when our pets get really ill, but I agree with the others and I think the cat should be put out of its misery.

However, if you live near Devon, there is an cat shelter that takes elderly and ill cats:

Riverhaven Elderly Cat Welfare, Courtenay House, Sampford Courtenay Railway Station, Okehampton, EX20 2SP
Tel : 01837-53250
email : RIVHAVEN@aol.com

But, to be honest, I think it would be better to put the poor mite to sleep.

mozzybear Wed 03-Oct-07 17:46:24

Aww

My MiL had a cat with ongoing medical problem and they too spent a fortune at the Vets. In the end, his quality of life was poor so she took the heartbreaking decision to get him put down.

A hard decision, but obviously one you're not taking lighly.

Round here, the Cats Protection don't rehome cats. They get strays neutered but they put them back where they found them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now