Talk

Advanced search

Old English Sheepdog with shakey back leg...any suggestions

(7 Posts)
pagwatch Mon 24-Sep-07 19:05:29

We have a gorgeous old english aged nearly two. He is fab and seems healthy but I am noticing that his back legs seem to shake a lot when he is standing.
He is a ridiculous thing, very bouncey and happy and i know it happens on walks or when he is greeting us so I put it down to excitement. But could it be something else? Should I take him to the vet ( he is not keen on the vet smile.
Any ideas

Doodledootoo Mon 24-Sep-07 19:11:47

Message withdrawn

LittleB Tue 25-Sep-07 12:20:34

My old dogs leg used to do this, but it was linked to her arthritus, but at only two yours would be unlucky to have this. Don't know what else to suggest,perhaps one of the mumsnet vets will be along soon to give you more advice. Is it just a recent thing, might he have just strained a muscle?

winestein Tue 25-Sep-07 12:24:58

My dog often used to shake in his youth. In his middle age he developed lumbar sacral disease and shakes constantly (bless him!). I take him for accupuncture once a month which helps him a lot.

However, I do rather think a lot of dogs just shake naturally (I have met quite a few).

smile

EmsMum Tue 25-Sep-07 12:28:09

Some dogs quiver all over, apparently thats quite normal.

Is he due a routine booster any time soon, if so I'd def ask then at least (thats what we did when concerned about first quivery dachshund).

pagwatch Tue 25-Sep-07 12:37:40

Thanks all - so speedy smile.

I will keep an eye on him to see if it is increasing and I will check when his next scheduled vet visit is.
Maybe it is just from him being quite exciteable - he is very gentle and lovely but a big doopey dog who gets very excited quite often.
Thanks all for your thought!

beautifulgirls Tue 25-Sep-07 12:42:33

It can be a totally normal thing but without your vet taking a look it is not possible to be sure. Excitement certainly is one reason though, especially in a 2 year old dog! I would say a more speedy trip to the vet if you notice he is stiff at any time especially after rest, if he stumbles over his own feet at all, if he bunny hops when he runs at any point, if he is ever lame at all, or if he does not seem to tollerate his exercise as well as he used to - gets tired much more quickly etc. If all of those are ok then the chances are there is nothing that drastic going on - but obviously your vet would be still the best person to give you a final answer on it.

Hope that helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now