loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rabbit owners/experts

(14 Posts)
lisalisa Sun 23-Sep-07 21:20:56

Message withdrawn

funnypeculiar Sun 23-Sep-07 21:28:22

you can get rabbit 'leads' from pet shops so you can take them out (didn't work brilliant for our first rabbit - second one loved it!)
And how about setting up a bit of the house where they can run round for a bit (eg shut kitchen door - assuming hard floors) and let them explore?

Blu Sun 23-Sep-07 21:30:10

lisalisa - I know how you feel - rabbits do look as if they need a lot of excercise, don't they? Is yours one of those runs that has a removable front for placing as an extension in front of a hutch? Could you get another one and ad it to your run as an extension? OUr rabbits have the full run of our shed, with a hatch through the wall into a biggish square run, and i still see them peering at the grass beyond the wire, trying to reach grass which is out of reach.

southeastastra Sun 23-Sep-07 21:32:12

it sounds fine. my rabbits are very lazy and even when they go in the run, they just stretch out and don't move.

you can buy a bigger run and put them in it when you can.

lisalisa Sun 23-Sep-07 21:42:25

Message withdrawn

Blu Sun 23-Sep-07 21:56:40

I saw some little fleecy beds in the pet shop - I think I will get one of those for ours when it gets really cold. I thnk as long as they can be out of draughts and off the ground they are ok, aren't they? You can get neoprene covers for gravity-bottles so their water doesn't freeze.

Ous climb up onto the shelves in the shed and sleep in a spare grill pan that I thought would be out of reach!

Tottie32 Sun 23-Sep-07 21:58:29

someone on guinea pig thread just mentioned electric heat pads you put under hutch in winter

lisalisa Sun 23-Sep-07 21:59:08

Message withdrawn

Blu Sun 23-Sep-07 22:01:24

The fleecy beds are like small cat or dog beds - I guess they go in the compartment or hutch where the rabbits usually sleep. What is your hutch like?

Blu Sun 23-Sep-07 22:02:47

I think rabbits withstand cold better than guinea pigs, though. Being European whilst gps are S American or something. The must manage OK in the wild.

slowreader Sun 23-Sep-07 22:11:19

We insulate our rabbits' hutch with sort of silver bubble wrap stuff that you can get from B and Q. Makes them look like space rabbits.
On frosty nights I make them one of those microwave pet hot water bottles.
Don't know who microwaves the hot water bottles for wild rabbits though.

lisalisa Sun 23-Sep-07 22:15:31

Message withdrawn

Blu Sun 23-Sep-07 22:19:40

OUr rabbits never seem to poo or wee on the shelf they have chosen to sleep on, so I guess they wouldn't in the bed.

I have a plastic corner tray filled with sawdust and they always wee in that - or close to it, but always in pretty much the same place.

slowreader Sun 23-Sep-07 22:23:46

Pets r us I think it came from. We bought it for the cat originally. I wrap it up in dds old t shirts and shove it under the hay. They always keep their sleeping bit of the hutch clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now