Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

guinea pigs out in the dark

(33 Posts)
nappyzone Sun 23-Sep-07 21:02:55

normally they go in the hutch for lock down at nightfall - its pitch black outside and i went to lock them in and there nowhere to be seen - should i go out with my torch (its raining) or will they survive the night? am a tadge worried about them - also as in an outdoor hutch - any tips as to when i should take winter measures and what measures to take (thats is if they survive the night!!).

Tamum Sun 23-Sep-07 21:04:28

Do you have any other animals that get into the garden? We have foxes sometimes, so outside is a definite no-no.

MaryBleedinPoppins Sun 23-Sep-07 21:05:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nappyzone Sun 23-Sep-07 21:06:27

bollocks - not sure maybe a hedgehog - its very enclosed but i suppose a rat or a cat could lurk - little monsters! cannot find a ruddy torch!!!!!!!!!!!! out i go!

MaryBleedinPoppins Sun 23-Sep-07 21:06:41

biglips Sun 23-Sep-07 21:07:01

get their fave food out!......mine used to llurrvveee peppers!!

BroccoliSpears Sun 23-Sep-07 21:09:04

Definitely go and find them! Guinea pigs are a bit rubbish at staying warm. They won't like being out in the cold and wet. We put underfloor heating in our hutches - special pet warmer pads - dead good, on low all winter.

Tamum Sun 23-Sep-07 21:10:36

Good luck nappyzone, we are all behind you

MaryBleedinPoppins Sun 23-Sep-07 21:11:58

Blu Sun 23-Sep-07 21:13:50

Perhaps if we all hold out a carrot together...her little piggy piggy piggy, here little piggy....

MaryBleedinPoppins Sun 23-Sep-07 21:20:55

nappyzone Sun 23-Sep-07 21:30:19

ok so dh is out at squash and we have no sodding torches in the house that have batteries in them - grrrrrrrrrrrr, ive been out and no sign - im thinking they are down side of house were timber and old kids junk is as this is where they normally hide. Just seen neighbour lurking on front who said he thoughthe heard a noise and wondered what it was so now im scared of monster in the garden. Have put the garden floodlight on and a bowl of carrots to help them find there way back and will go back out when he returns to check.... oh come on charlie and lola dont have mummy worrying !!! sad

Blu Sun 23-Sep-07 21:32:18

Call dh on his mobile and tell him to bring torch bateries home with him - or buy a new torch at a petrol station!

nappyzone Sun 23-Sep-07 21:33:57

just tried to do that - gone to answerphone - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MaryBleedinPoppins Sun 23-Sep-07 21:35:16

moljam Sun 23-Sep-07 21:36:19

ours will do just about anything for haysmile
hope you find them

nappyzone Sun 23-Sep-07 21:48:25

PANIC OVER!!!!!!! they are in - just dismantling ball blaster and i spotted the cheeky imps dancing round the lawn in the floodlight - chased them a bit with a mop then went back in and observed them at the patio - one went in and up the ramp for carrot bait so lingered until the other did then battened down the hatch - phew!!!!!!! strict 6pm curfew now to be enforced! thanks for the support!

MaryBleedinPoppins Sun 23-Sep-07 21:49:56

moljam Sun 23-Sep-07 21:50:34

yay!

nappyzone Sun 23-Sep-07 21:52:47

broc spears - direct me to these heater pads - will i need dh to rig up some leccy i take it?

Blu Sun 23-Sep-07 21:53:12

Phew!
At Ease Corporal Jones!

burstingbug Sun 23-Sep-07 22:03:35

Yay! Pigs safe again for the night grin
My pig just runs and hides in a corner when we let him run free in our garden.
Can they purr like cats? Mine kinda vibrates in a purr like fashion when stroking him. Does he like it or is it him shaking with fear?hmm

Yurtgirl Sun 23-Sep-07 22:05:41

Im glad you found them

Me thinks when the clocks go back you will need to bring forward the curfew

nappyzone Sun 23-Sep-07 22:07:35

i am so releived but am now searching wildly for a cold weather solution as it was a a bit parky out there. Do those covers from pets at home do the biz for winter - dont want them freezing to death. Does anyone heres survive over winter without elec underheating? They are raised of floor in a double decker (well triple actually) floored hutch with door open most the day to open run which is also mostly left open for them to roam the garden iyswim.

BroccoliSpears Mon 24-Sep-07 11:08:52

Nappyzone - We used something called Snuggers & Co, but I can't seem to find them online so maybe not in business any more. If you google pet heating pads you'll find all sorts. Microwavable ones, hot water ones, electric ones.

Of course, the alternative is to get lots more Guinea Pigs - they like to huddle together in a crowd to share warmth grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now