Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why won't my cat eat Whiskas tuna flavoured food but will eat our tuna?

(23 Posts)
NAB3 Sat 22-Sep-07 17:12:12

She has sniffed it and walked away. She is definitely hungry. She needs to eat it as her medication is in it and she left it this morning.

LizaRose Sat 22-Sep-07 17:24:16

Maybe she can smell the medication. Cats can be little devils can't they. How to give tablets to cats

NAB3 Sat 22-Sep-07 17:30:24

She has to have the medicine at every meal and she eats all the other flavours.

InMyHumbleOpinion Sat 22-Sep-07 17:35:58

Protein content - cats can taste protein and will usually choose the food with the highest protein content, as they are true carnivores and have little use for carbs.

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Sep-07 17:37:29

Would you eat it?

NAB3 Sat 22-Sep-07 17:58:48

No, obviously. What do you expect me to feed her? She is a cat therefore I buy her cat food.

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Sep-07 18:08:52

Well, I think cat food is shitey processed meat isn't it? If she's had tuna, she probably prefers it and is holding out for that

belgo Sat 22-Sep-07 18:09:50

because she has decerning taste. She's a cat.

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Sep-07 18:13:03

yes that was what I was trying to drive at

NAB3 Sat 22-Sep-07 18:16:07

Okay. Have just spent £10.48 on Whiskas. What do you suggest I buy? I thought W was meant to be decent? She doesn't have tinned tuna often. She just doesn't seem to like the Whiskas tuna one. She will eat all other cat food.

NAB3 Sat 22-Sep-07 18:22:38

Still refusing to eat it.

LizaRose Sat 22-Sep-07 18:30:10

Excerpts from a Cat's Diary*:

Day 983 of my captivity. My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Al though I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear th e noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe, for now..........

belgo Sat 22-Sep-07 18:39:44

pmsl LizaRose

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Sep-07 20:28:37

I don't know NAB I was just playing cat's advocate

she is obviously a cat of discerning tastes and all that

hope she is better soon, it is terrible when pets are ill

belgo Sat 22-Sep-07 20:29:34

so that's how I should spell discerningblush

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Sep-07 20:30:51

well yes I didn't like to mention it wink

mind you I bet my spelling in Belgian would not be too clever

belgo Sat 22-Sep-07 20:34:15

I'm English ...dh is flemish

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Sep-07 21:24:04

oh aaargh

I am offending everyone, even the manufacturers of Whiskas

pointydog Sat 22-Sep-07 21:40:00

lolololo @ belgo being english

pointydog Sat 22-Sep-07 21:41:09

"No, obviously. What do you expect me to feed her? She is a cat therefore I buy her cat food."

NAB that was var funny too. I love pet threads

pointydog Sat 22-Sep-07 21:41:52

my cat can tell if there's a tablet in her food. You might need to try the shoving down throat method. Not that I've tried it myself

bilblio Sat 22-Sep-07 21:43:16

They're cats, they're fussy.
Mine don't like the beef or salmon flavour whiskas, which means we end up with cupboards full of them as DP is too soft and gives them the flavours they like... although interestingly I fed them this morning for a change, I'm cruel and always give them the ones they don't like (it means they only hassle DP when they want feeding). I gave them beef in gravy and it's all gone. Fussy blighters.

When we have to give out cats tablets we disguise them in either potted meat, or stilton, depending on the cat. Wrap the tablet up in a tiny amount so it can be eaten in 1 mouthful. It works every time.

NAB3 Sun 23-Sep-07 13:14:20

Unfortunately my cat will be on medication for life as there is no cure for her illness. However she has been on them for almost 2 years and should be used to them by now. hmm I have taken out all the tuna flavoured sachets and will put them in the Christmas bucket for the cats at Xmas. She is blissfully asleep on top of the chair in the sun now. I am coming back as a cat next time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now