Talk

Advanced search

Any rabbit experts? My rabbit will not use a hutch ladder

(11 Posts)
piximon Fri 21-Sep-07 11:19:54

My 3 year old rabbit moved from a bungalow type hutch to a house hutch on Sunday but so far has not braved the ladder so he'll only stay on the level we move him onto. If he's upstairs he just comes out of his private area to eat then rushes back inside. Downstairs is all mesh doors with no private area, so not ideal for him to stay there indefinately.
I know rabbits take a while to adjust and it's not yet been a week, but looking for reassurance he will get used to the ladder and any advice on how I could help him. Tell me he's not too old to learn new tricks. Have I wasted my birthday money on a ridiculously expensive hutch which I'll have to try to modify?

MamaMaiasaura Fri 21-Sep-07 11:25:24

put his food in the other area grin My bunny jumps on top of his huthc. Other day I left his food for later on the low garden wall, he climbed into the flowerpot to get to it. HE is soooo motivated by his tummy. typical male really. Oh, and he plays football. I should get somepics for profile of him.

piximon Fri 21-Sep-07 11:58:26

thanks Awen I tried that, he's not motivated by food. My last rabbit was very enterprising (like yours)and would copy the cats jumping through my kitchen window and over fences into the neighbours garden where he'd eat her plants. But my current bun is more of a digger and chewer, much to the childrens disgust he chewed through their little trampoline the other day, only discovered when they tried to bounce on it and went right through.

Blu Sun 23-Sep-07 21:12:25

Southeastastra is a rabbit expert...see if she can find this thread and advise!

I thought rabbits were naturally very curious and exploratory - I wonder what is upsetting him. Is it a ramp? Is it too slippery?

funnypeculiar Sun 23-Sep-07 21:13:34

we did this - bought fancy double decker hutch. rabbit refused to use top deck (sorry!). She was perfectly happy climbing onot the back of the sofa however hmm

Tortington Sun 23-Sep-07 21:14:03

poor thing might have vertigo grin

Blu Sun 23-Sep-07 21:33:26

Bump for SEA!

Blu Sun 23-Sep-07 23:00:05

Southeastastra, cooeeeeeee!

piximon Sat 29-Sep-07 22:20:08

Oooh he cracked it, had a go yesterday and now he's running up and down like he's been in there all his life. He loves dried corn on the cob so I put some upstairs and next time I checked it'd been nibbled after I'd left him downstairs. I'm so proud of him!

Blu Sat 29-Sep-07 23:09:03

Phew!
I worried about this for quite some time! I wonder what put him off in the first place?

piximon Sun 30-Sep-07 11:27:16

I think it may have been a touch of vertigo. Was probably a big shock to go from always having a view of the ground and people's feet to suddenly looking out and thinking you're being held up high. I'm so glad he loves his hutch now though, makes it worth every penny. My cats are feeling very jealous though, I've converted the kids playhouse for them to use over winter if they want to have somewhere outside to snuggle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now